navinavi

May 04, 2014

Where horror movies take place

Not really. But I do seem to have a fascination for weird and creepy places. I've never been much of a beach girl (although I like to know I live not too far from the ocean), but I would have never imagined that the desert hides so many cool little treasures; I'm starting to believe I'm more of a desert creature. Elmer's Bottle Tree Farm is one of the many gold nuggets out there in the wild west.


As we were driving down route 66 towards Oro Grande, the landscape turned eerier and dustier and more intriguing. We spotted abandoned houses, a derelict factory that somehow managed to keep functioning and an empty school bus (on a Saturday evening) driving slowly in our same direction. I pointed out that the place looked like a horror movie and David replied that that was exactly the kind of place where horror movies took place.


Elmer's Bottle Tree Farm is in the middle of nowhere, literally. This is what you see to the left and to the right, and every now and then, far on the back, you get to see long cargo trains.




Lucky us, we made it there before the sun went down, so the colorful bottle trees didn't look scary at all. I imagine it must be a whole different story when it's pitch dark.




If you look closely, you'll find not only bottles, but also a bunch of different objects on top of the bottle trees including guns, which are fully functional!


 And we know this because we heard it from Elmer himself :p. Doesn't he look like the Heisenberg?!
 


He was inside his house when we got there, fireplace on (we could smell the burning log) and he came out to say hi to us right when we were getting ready to head back. I'm really glad we had the chance to exchange a word or two.



He told us he started this project 12 years ago and people from all over the world come visit. He also admitted he wonders who's going to take care of the place once he passes.


The farm itself is not very big, but there are a lot of details and artifacts to see. We were there for well over an hour, exploring and taking photos.















Before leaving, we left a tip and grabbed a stone each.






We tried taking some pictures together, but it was so freaking windy, there's no good one, haha. I forgot to ask Anthony (a friend and photographer who was there with us) if he had better photos of us, but oh well.





 



May you all have a great week!

And if you're ever in SoCal, pay Elmer a visit ;).

Hugs!


Interested in visiting similar places? Then, check out:
Pioneertown, Salvation MountainCalico Ghost Town


15 comments:

Sian said...

i love this!

Him & Me (But Mostly Me) said...

Sounds neat! I might have to visit! Thanks for sharing!

Katrin said...

Oh wow, Miki! What a fantastic place! I wanted to ask you about it when I saw your post on Instagram! So thanks for sharing this! I love weird and creepy places so this looks like my kind of thing! I would loooove to visit! That guy looks pretty cool as well! :)
Have a great week! Hugs!

Chrissy said...

Awesome place, I saw your pics on IG and was wondering about it, but this seems really neat! Love the pics of the two of you - such a cute couple! Happy Monday xxx

Anja said...

Wow, such a cool place! Do you know Rhyolite? A desert ghosttown with bottle house and modern art sculptures. Just fab!

uncustomary said...

I read about Elmer last year and wanted to visit! I'm so glad you got to, and you've convinced me to make sure I get a chance to go if I'm ever nearby. PS - I don't think it's creepy at all!

seelvana said...

las fotos las estás levantando de algún sitio como instagram u otro?
no me deja ver nada :(

luego vuelvo desde casa!

Marina Carstens said...

That's really neat! I'd love to visit the desert someday. I've never been.

Corina said...

Hey Miki!
Nice to come back to your blog (after a long, long time) for such an exciting post. This place is unbelievable :-o
I'm sure you made the most of of your visit :)
I hope you are both doing well.
Greetings from us

Beate said...

This is awesome! I need to go visit that place. I already loved your Instagram pictures and these show even more interesting details of that place. So cool! :)

Marisa Noelle said...

This is amazing Miki! (and yes, Elmer does look like the Heisenberg, haha).

I'm almost 99% certain I saw this place featured on HGTV on their show about strange homes. It's so interesting and strangely beautiful that's for sure.

And it totally reminds me of a set from a Quentin Tarantino film :-)

Happy weekend my friend! xoxo Marisa

Lula said...

jahahah!! totally! Is that CA or AZ?

GS said...

Hola Miki! :) Qué lugar interesante misterioso y creativo! Muy buen post! Un abrazo para vos y Devi! :)

lisa said...

Oh wow- I'm definitely going to have to check this place out next time I'm thatta way! These pics are really great and it looks like a fun trip. I'm with ya on the fascination for weird and creepy places, although I do love the beach too :)

Carly Kaste said...

Oh, this looks like such a mysterious place to be! I would love love LOVE to visit someday. Elmer does look a lot like Heisenberg.

PS - I think you guys look really cute in both selfies. ^-^