navinavi

October 04, 2013

Candy skewers

Hi, everybody! Are you in the mood for some sweet treats? ;) If your answer is yes, this is the right post for you. I've been meaning to make these candy skewers for a while, but I never got round to it until now; we have a birthday party tomorrow, so that's a perfect excuse. My original idea was to make them exclusively with gummy fish (like these ones), but I don't really like the way they taste, so I decided to choose a wider variety of candy.

 

As you can imagine, they're very easy to put together, but there are a few helpful tips I can give you if you ever plan to make them.

 

Supplies needed:

* Candy: sour belts and gummy candy. I filled a bag (at Sweet Factory) that weighed a little over a pound and paid almost $16 for it.

* Bamboo skewers. I got the shorter ones available at Party City; a bag of 100 skewers is $ 1.49.

* 4"x6" cello bags; purchased on Ebay. I paid $4.75 for 100, but you can probably find them for less if you can wait to haven them delivered.

* Baker's twine. $1 in the bargain section at Target.



As I was poking each piece with the skewer I realized that the clear gummy ones worked the best. I'm so glad I didn't just buy gummy fish! I also realized that I should've bought more sour belts since they're the prettiest :). If I ever make these again, I'll buy enough to use a sour belt per skewer.



The red gummies on the left (below) make great first pieces since they don't stain the wood and the berries are best used to cover the tip of the skewer.


I say use at least four pieces and make sure the one at the bottom is one that's not going to end up ripping. 



You can totally tell these are the last ones I put together, haha! I didn't know how everything was going to work out so I randomly picked the candy. The next time, I know I have to count how many of each I'll be using.


The last part is the easiest, simply place each finished skewer in a cello bag and use baker's twine to close the bag at then end.




 

I want them to be standing so for the presentation I used 4 mason jars filled shredded construction paper (I so love our shredder!). I spent a total of $24 and got 22 skewers; not too bad.



I hope the kids like them! :p

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! ;D

Hugs!

15 comments:

Nathalie G.M. said...

This is so cute!! Now I feel like having candy :) Really love your blogs and how colourful it is!

Chrissy said...

What a cute idea - they look so pretty! I bet they will love them!
Have a wonderful weekend and tons of fun at the party!
Hugs xxx

jules (the life of a cupcake!) said...

these are absolutely adorable! i love this idea! i have made some before but they never looked this beautiful! thanks for sharing!

xo

Marina Carstens said...

So cute! I'm definitely going to suggest this for one of our project classes for the kindergarten I work at. Perfect for October! Maybe we can tie the bags with black and orange ribbon for Halloween. :)

Katrin said...

Such a cute idea! They look fantastic, Miki!
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Tight hugs to you and the kitties!

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

These all look so adorable! I love the tiny berry gummy candy the most - yum!

xo
Lost in the Haze

Laura said...

Hi Miki! I've been thinking about you and hoped you were doing well. Those candy skewers are SO sweet! (pun intended). ;) Hope the kitties are well too. Hugs.

Laura xo

seelvana said...

me encanta, parecen parte de una picada salada!

Alicia Mackin said...

Oh wow these are great, just wonderful!

Ali of Dressing Ken

Courtney B said...

These are so stinkin' cute!! I LOVE this idea and I will definitely be making these for my babe's 1 year birthday party. Love how simple yet CUTE these are!

uncustomary said...

You are the cutest.

Blue Eyed Night Owl said...

I'm certain they will! They look amazing! I actually prefer them over the ones you linked too. The sour belts make them look really cute:) And I love the variety too. And the way you displayed them is adorable as well!

Oranges and Apples said...

such a good idea! so doing it for Milo's first birthday!

Courtney said...

Miki these are absolutely darling! What a fun fun idea! And I'm sure the kids LOVED them!!!!

Marisa Noelle said...

Your creativity always inspires me and makes me smile Miki! Those skewers are unbelievably darling - like something from Dr. Seuss! I know my son would love them...hehe.

Have an amazing weekend doll! xo Marisa