navinavi

June 12, 2013

5 Senses

Last night, I finished reading a book about introversion called The Introvert's Way, by Sophia Dembling. This is probably the book I've read the fastest; I've enjoyed every single sentence and agreed to 99% of the facts. One that struck me is that most of us introverts are Highly Sensitive People (HSP), we're sensitive to other people's moods, hyperaware of what's around us. A blog post started cooking as soon as I read this part. I've always felt I was overly sensitive to my surroundings; everything I see, hear, taste, touch and smell sort of triggers a reaction (sometimes an over-reaction) which can be positive or negative, but things don't usually go unnoticed to me. This is kind of a blessing as well as a curse.


So, I started writing a list of things I am particularly sensitive to when it comes to our 5 senses (because trust me, it's better not to dig deeper than that or else this post would turn into an endless pile of boredom and who knows what else). And I would really, really love to read your list, too! So, please, don't be shy and if you feel so inclined, tell me what triggers positive/negative sensory reactions! ;D

I love ...



* to feel our cats' cool fur when they come back home on a cold winter day.

* the way my scalp feels when I untie my hair.

* to see bubbles in my "mate" when I first start drinking it.

* to read mistakes in the close captioning.

* my mom's soup. I can't get over the fact I'll never taste it again :(.

*  the sound of sprinklers running at night; it's so soothing!

* when they play my favorite songs on the radio (it rarely happens here).

* the noise the computer makes when I empty the recycling bin.

* the smell of brewing coffee, especially at work.

* the first whiff I get every time I step into an airplane.



I dislike ...


* when popcorn gets stuck in my back teeth.

* touching mustard/mayo/ketchup when doing the dishes.

* wearing wet clothes and shoes.

* that everything shocks me on dry days! Even wood and water shock me, which David thinks is not possible, haha.

* shedding snakes. Brrr! Goose bumps!

* cargo ships. They give me vertigo even when they're kilometers away.

* the taste I get when I blow balloons. And also, Pepto Bismo.

* the noise styrofoam makes and markers on white boards. Again, goose bumps!

* the smell of melting butter. It makes me gag.



I'm undecided weather I like or hate ...


* touching bruises. It sure is painful but I can't help myself, ha. (Wait! Does this mean I have issues?)

* candy that pops in your mouth.

* using a song I like as a ringtone. I'm not sure this is good since I truly hate to speak on the phone.


Your turn now! ;)


Psss! If you want free clothes (who doesn't like them, right?), enter my Shabby Apple giveaway ;).


11 comments:

Cindy said...

That books sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to check it out. I've never thought about what bothers me and what I really like--interesting exercise. I'll have to try it :)

lissa said...

"the way my scalp feels when I untie my hair." -- definitely since I have my hair tie every day.

here's my list -

I like
- the sound of gentle rain falling
- the scent of any flower as long as it's not overwhelming
- blowing gum bubbles
- smell/touch of new books
- smooth ice cream with bits of fruit like strawberries or peaches
- the sound of someone playing a musical instrument from far away

I dislike
- people screaming especially profanities
- the smell of someone with heavy perfume/cigarette
- smell of coffee especially in the morning
- the aftertaste of drinking regular milk

really, I think I could keep listing but this is enough.

hope you have a sweet day.

Chrissy said...

I love this post for so many reasons. The thing about your mom's soup and you not being able to ever taste it again totally teared me up, Miki. I am so sorry!
You are so gorgeous and look amazing! I am so happy for you that your life in Cali is so wonderful! Miss you! xxx

P.S. I will definitely do a post like this one! Hugs

Katrin said...

Great post! I will do a list like this too! Love your answers! And I absolutely know how you feel about the soup! It makes me so sad to know that I will never taste the favorite meals my mom made for me again!
I will have to check out this book!
Have a great day! Hugs!

ceci a. said...

Mikiiii! Sos lo más, Amé tu lista, comparto mucho de los ítems!
Y me alegra un montón pasar por acá dps de tanto tiempo
=)
Te mando un beso enorme!!!
c.

Katie Frank said...

This book sounds really awesome!
http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

Trisha said...

Hey there, same same! I too hate most of the things (well, except the melting butter thing, to be honest :D). I love the smell of brewing coffee and then I itch to have a cup!

Lovely blog of yours
-Trisha
www.trishaawari.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Great post! This book sounds really interesting. I, too, cannot stand wet clothes and especially wet shoes/feet! When my feet are cold and wet I am so uncomfortable. Happened just yesterday because it poured rain all day!

Dilan Dilir said...

seems like a great book! :D

Trisha said...

Hey there! Thank you so much by popping by my blogstreet! I just saw your gorgeous buttons and put up one!

xoxo
Trisha

Jenstar_Blonde said...

oooo I love the sound of this book Miki!! will have to investigate further with that one!

I am totally with you on the untying the hair bit and the airplane smell! :D

Jen xxx