navinavi

December 09, 2012

Soda pop

Hello, everybody! How was your weekend? Ours was hectic but certainly fun :p. We finally put up our Christmas tree (it's a tradition in Argentina to do it on December 8th, that's the day of the Virgin), we took the cats to the vet for their annual shots, I went to the optometrist to get a new prescription (and glasses!) and we did some Christmas shopping in LA. The pictures in this post are all about our adventure at a very interesting place called Galco's

Photobucket 

Instead of buying all different Christmas presents for the family, I thought this year we could be more practical and give everybody the same thing. I'd seen beer samples in a few blogs, but since there are a lot of kids in David's family, I thought it'd be a better idea to prepare some neat soda samplers. It's something suitable for all ages, original and fun.

Photobucket

I thought I was going to have to order the sodas online, but fortunately I stumbled upon this wonderful store in LA (close to Pasadena), so off we went! My original idea was to come up with 6 packs, keep the cardboard containers that hold the bottles and spray paint them. However, we ended up deciding to place the bottles in baskets along with other goodies such as candy and chocolate.

Photobucket

There's such a huge variety of sodas that it was hard to make up our minds, but ended up grabbing the ones that seemed the most appealing. I just love their old looking labels! :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We got a small stash for ourselves which included the following root beer. I had it a while ago and liked it; it was my very first experience with root beer! David is not a fan but I asked him to try it to see if it tasted like the real thing. He said it was milder and actually good.

Photobucket

Photobucket 

We also tried this cola and it was awesome. Unlike most sodas in this country, which are made with corn syrup, this one's made with cane sugar. I guess that's why I don't find American Coca Cola as good as Argentina's. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are the bottles we got for ourselves; can't wait to try them all but will have to split them ... It's too much sugar, ha.

Photobucket

David couldn't help getting this pretty rad beer sample; it contains 4 different kinds of ales recreated from old recipes of traditional domestic brewing in the Scottish Highlands (from the days before hops).

Photobucket

I'm so dumb, I forgot our camera at home, boo :/, but I used my phone to take some pictures while in the store. So, here you have some very, very crappy phone pics.

Photobucket

They have a huge variety of sodas (even organic ones), beer and wine, but soda is definitely their main thing.

Photobucket

These are some of the bottles that caught my eye.

 Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The owner of the store is a friendly guy who is more than willing to guide customers and give his insight on every single product. You can learn more about him, his store and products in the following video; it's interesting if you ask me ;).



And if you'd like to try some of these unconventional sodas but live nowhere near LA, you can place an order in the comfort of your own home by clicking this link.

David's family don't ever check my blog, so I hope I haven't ruined the surprise!

Have an awesome, fun and profitable week, everyone! ;D We're only 2 weeks away from Christmas, can you believe it?!

12 comments:

Ms. Dainty Doll said...

Very cool idea :)

Esquina48 said...

me encanta
quiero una de cada una!!!!

Marisa Noelle said...

Am I really seeing this - brownie root beer? Holy moly what a great idea Miki! I think I would take one of each :)

I can't even believe it's only 2 weeks till Christmas! This month has gone by so fast and I still have so much to do! I need to get on the ball...hehe. Have an amazing week Miki! xo Marisa

chantilly said...

this is such an adorable idea!! i love cute little sodas like that. some of them look sooo good... brownie caramel cream?? hello! i so want to get some of these for presents now, and wish there was a store like this near me..

by the way i've been owing you an email for my card :)) i'm sorry i haven't gotten around to it, but thank you so much. xoxo

Erin Dawn said...

Oh man, these all look so good!

seelvana said...

jajaj es loquísima la cantidad de gaseosas diferentes que hay! y las etiquetas diviiiiiiiinas!

Courtney said...

So cute! This makes me want to sit in a little 60's diner and drink me a soda pop. Love all the bottles! Mmmm

Camila Qub said...

Gostei muito dos rótulos retrô! Boa semana , Miki!!!

Maria said...

this is such a fun idea, miki!! omygosh, the sodas are so cute - i love all the different labels and colors. my brother is obsessed with soda - this is a great idea for christmas - thanks so much for sharing and thanks so much for being such a sweetheart. <3<3<3
maria

Kirsten Renz said...

what a great idea. these all look so cool. there's something really awesome about bottled soda. you're so creative i can't stand it!

Katrin said...

What a great store and what a wonderful gift idea! Love it! And I would sooo love to try all of them, I am a huge soda fan!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend, dear! Love & hugs!

Nena Nadine said...

Very Cool. I also prefer cane sugar sodas. Sundrop has been made in WI forever with cane sugar. when it went national they made it with syrup. And it tastes awful! Luckily they still make it at the small bottling company here so I still get my cane sugar ones.