navinavi

November 23, 2012

Did I tell you I got the job?

Well, hello there! I'm sorry I've been a stranger, but I have a pretty good excuse, I think. I've finally started working this week! ;D I can barely believe it myself; after so much stressing out, I ended up getting the one job I wanted the most. I am now working for the city library :D, not the one I volunteer at but one that depends on that one. I found out I'd gotten the job about a month ago, but the physical, fingerprinting and what-not took forever. I was finally called to have something called orientation on Monday morning at the HR office and from there, I headed to the library and started to work.

Photobucket

These three days have been a roller-coaster but in a good way. Can you believe that my second day consisted of attending Staff Development Day? I was so scared about it, I barely got any sleep the night before. Knowing that I had to spend a whole day in a hotel interacting with strangers terrified me. I was determined to do my best at socializing and schmoozing (which I really can't do) and do you know what?  I did better than I'd expected. I felt comfortable talking with the people on my table, I didn't get awkward when we had to play games and I even did the Gangnam style dance with 5 people in front of about 100 co-workers, ha. It was kind of an improv exercise and although my group didn't win, we were runner ups :). I was even able to handle eating out with some of my coworkers and do self-defense exercises with a couple of strangers. Yes, it was one of those events. I felt bad practicing how to choke and kick people I didn't know, but once the whole thing ended I felt good about myself.

On my third day, I think I finally started getting the hang of everything. There are a lot of codes I have to memorize in order to categorize the books and I also need to get familiar with the software they use to check books in and out. On Monday I made a lot of mistakes, but now I think I'm getting there. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll feel even more comfortable than on Wednesday. I am so incredibly lucky to be surrounded by very helpful, patient and friendly coworkers! :D Even my boss seems to be very nice and understanding. I really couldn't have asked for more. So far I love my job! And I don't mind having to work on Saturdays every now and then. The library opens Monday-Saturday, so we have to take it into turns to be there on Saturday; I'll work tomorrow but next week I'll have the whole weekend for myself.

So, how did you guys celebrate Thanksgiving (if you did at all)? David and I just stayed home and ate "vacio" (it's carne asada but cut thicker) and mashed potatoes with gravy. All my in-laws are out in the desert; they always celebrate Thanksgiving there. We were invited, of course, but riding quads in the dunes is really not our cup of tea, hehe. Plus, we wanted to check out a few stores on Black Friday. We're just about to leave to do so. We can't splurge, but if I see some piece of clothing I like and is really cheap, I'll treat myself ;).

As you can see, there's no compendium today but there will certainly be one next week. I'm pretty confident I'll get back to blogging regularly and visiting you all very soon ;). I miss you! Thank you for understanding and for sending your great vibes always! ;D Love you, guys!


Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day and are ready to have an awesome weekend! ;D

Tight hugs!

21 comments:

seelvana said...

genia bibliotecariaaaa!
Me alegro muchísimo por tu inserción laboral, yo cambié de trabajo y también me estoy adaptando así que me reconozco en algunos de tus items!
Te deseo que te halles perfectamente en ese trabajo y que crezcas crezcas y crezcas!

Bubbles said...

Congratulations and Good Luck with it all. It sounds like you're around great people and it will soon feel like home. Once you find the balance of home/work life you'll be borrowing books to read too :). It will be great to get your hands on the new releases.

Laura said...

Yay, yay, yay! I am so glad to hear about your new job. :) Sounds like it's a great fit for you! Hope you survived the Black Friday shopping!

fabiana said...

OHHHhhhhHHH I'm so glad to hear you got the job!!! And even more glad to hear you love it!!!

Un abrazo enorme desde la China!!!

lissa said...

yay! congrats. I don't think I could survive that staff development day, I can barely move, let alone dancing...

congrats again and happy belated thanksgiving.

Diego Martín Arakaki said...

Congratulations, Miki!!!
I know I didn't write you for so long but I'm still here... in the shadows...

Best of wishes on your job. Work hard and, more important, have fun!

PS: Good to know you didn't faint in front of so many people. That's a good sign.

Courtney said...

Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy! I'm so excited for you and your new job. Praise the Lord! And way to go jumping right in and being super social! You rock!

chantilly said...

yay, yay, yay!! i am so happy for you.

Katrin said...

I am so happy that you new job is going fine. I knew you would rock it! It is always difficult to start a new job but having nice coworkers makes it a lot easier! You are awesome, Miki!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs!

Soledad Cervantes said...

Miki! Muchas felicidades por tu nuevo trabajo. Sé que lo harás maravillosamente bien porque eres una chica muy capaz.

Chrissy said...

Yay, I am so super happy for you! I can't even put it into words! You deserve this so much cuz you are awesome, I knew you would do great! Cannot wait to hear more about it!
Hugs xxx

lisa said...

Oh my goodness, Miki! I was so excited for you when I saw this! I know you've been wanting something for awhile and to get the one you wanted must feel so good. You deserve it and I'm insanely happy for you!!

Sian Lile said...

am so pleased you got the job and that it's going so well! hurray hurray! well donex

Carrie said...

congrats on the job I think you will love it (I love working at the library) my two pieces of advice its hell on your fingernails lol and working with the public is crazy sometimes!!!

congrats again
hugs

Heike said...

Oh Miki, that is so wonderful. I have been searching in your posts for little hints! :)
Congrats! This is a new chapter of your life! Enjoy!
Heike

Maria said...

I'm so so happy to hear that you love your job, boss and co-workers!! And you did the Gangnam style dance?!! We need a video :) lol that is awesome and I bet it felt so good to get through all of that and end the day with a smile on your face!! That's wonderful, Miki!! Happy to hear you're doing well! Lots of love xoxox
Maria

Suki said...

I'm so, so happy to hear that you got the job you really wanted - congratulations! A library is a wonderful place to work. Well done for joining in so boldly on your development day - impressive - and good luck learning all those codes!

Really very happy and excited for you :)

Kirsten Renz said...

i'm so happy for you! i feel like we had the same situation. i got my job and was so so nervous. i'm glad you felt more comfortable and are getting (although by now you've probably "got") the hang of things.

being in the desert on thanksgiving doesn't sound so great to me either, i don't blame you for staying in!

Erin Dawn said...

Congrats on your new job!!! That is so exciting, you're going to rock it. And doing the Gangnam dance? Ha, that takes balls!

Nena Nadine said...

Super Congrats. I'm so proud of you for surviving such a social challenge. Even though I'm a social person I have a hard time with social situations like that. When I'm not in my element I just assume that everyone hates me or I probably would hate them. It's like high school all over again!

Nena Nadine said...

Super Congrats. I'm so proud of you for surviving such a social challenge. Even though I'm a social person I have a hard time with social situations like that. When I'm not in my element I just assume that everyone hates me or I probably would hate them. It's like high school all over again!