navinavi

October 19, 2012

A compendium of somethings - How to be a great aunt edition

Whew! That was a long title! I need to catch my breath, hehe, j/k. One of the things that I love about having gotten married is the fact David's nieces have made me an aunt. I must admit, though, that I'm not that good of an auntie. There are a lot of things that I'd love to do with and for the girls that involve money and driving :/. However, I occasionally do a crafty little something for them here and there and I'm saving a lot of interesting projects for the near future. Wanna see some of them? Here they go! ;) Dedicated to all the aunties/uncles and why not parents as well?

Something that flies: I am so going to make this cloud! I think I'll go a step further and use helium to see if it can "fly" instead ;). I should calculate the weight of the material so it doesn't fly away, though.


Balloons inside a balloon, an idea that has always fascinated me. You can watch a tutorial here and here.


Something that glows in the dark: Wouldn't these glow in the dark cupcakes make you the coolest aunt on Earth? I'd think so. It's incredible what a little tonic water and food coloring can do.


There are a lot of glow in the dark projects out there (just look the topic up on Pinterest and you'll see), however, I think this product is worth mentioning just because you might not know it exists. Glow in the dark spray paint. There are so many things you can use it for! :p


Something to make food more enjoyable: Why is there always so much food in my posts?? Ha! Anyway, I've never had problems eating whatever, but if you want to encourage the kids in your family to make eating more fun, here are a few cool ideas.

Stamp + food coloring, don't tell me this is not cool (not to mention easy as well)!


Dip pieces of fruit in chocolate, yum!



And probably my favorite: edible eyes! They're made of sugar and you can buy a pack for 5 pounds.

Photobucket
Something to make opening presents more fun: Instead of wrapping small gifts traditionally, you can build a fun punch box. You can use it to hide favors, but I think I might do this for Christmas; I'm sure the little ones in our family will enjoy the idea :P.

Photobucket

Photobucket

source

If you want to hide heavier/bigger gifts, you can use this tutorial instead.

Photobucket

Something for the car seat: Seat belt pillows. I don't know anything about babies or cars, but I have the feeling this is a good idea, ha.


Something educational: DIY map magnets.  




Something made of wood: Make a match - zoo edition.



Bakery in a box



DIY chalk blocks


Something for a 6/7 year-old: Isn't this first tooth box fancy? 



I think I prefer these colorful ones instead.


Something creative: I so want #1 for myself!




They're selling these craft bags, but you can totally came up with your own ;).



Hope you've all had a great week and are ready to have a fun weekend! ;D

Hugs!

16 comments:

daisymay aka Chantele said...

Ah lots of fun stuff again! I have a tooth box! And have had it since I was little (I also have a weird morbid curiosity so actually have all my rank teeth that I have had taken out in the past! - its gross! lol!)

Daisy Dayz
Enter my giveaway to win designer shades

uncustomary said...

FOOD EYES OH MY GOD.
Also, I love the punch gifts.

Niken said...

oh my oh my oh my!
fun stuffs!!! i want to try them all. glowing cupcakes??? yes, please. and that cloud! i want that in my room

Melissa said...

These are all such fun! I would have loved them as a child...and now. I really love the edible eyes.

<3 Melissa
wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

jamie said...

miki.. i need to email you with an update! it has been way too long since we've talked, im sorry.. i hope that everything is going perfectly well for you and your love ones <3

xx, james

jamie said...

miki.. i need to email you with an update! it has been way too long since we've talked, im sorry.. i hope that everything is going perfectly well for you and your love ones <3

xx, james

seelvana said...

los ojitos los ojitos los ojitos!

lo más lindo de todo! yo creo por lo que nos contaste que debés ser muy buena tía!
Y lo de manejar, no pensaste que con una moto chica se soluciona? ;)
y tiene más onda y contamina menos!
yo te ayudo a convencerlo a deivi'.

Besooo!

Katrin said...

Food that glows in the dark?! Wow, I have never thought that things like that exist. I am not sure if people should really eat that. Haha.
Have a great Sunday, lovely! Hugs!

Kirsten Renz said...

i think you have the 'being a great aunt' business down 100%.

Marisa Noelle said...

You must be one funtastic auntie Miki! I really don't know where to start because all this stuff looks so darn cool....I will say though, I have seen those seatbelt pillows before and I will not lie - I want one for myself :) Bakery in a box and glow in the dark cupcakes are right up my alley that's for certain! It all comes down to food, doesn't it? Hehe. Hope you have an amazing week darling gal! xo Marisa

lisa said...

I wish I would've seen this before just buying my nephews belated birthday gifts the other day! I love the idea of the glow in the dark frosting- that may be in my contribution to the Halloween party I'm going to this weekend...

Corina said...

These are absolutely cool ideas. I'm sure I put some into practice and see what Fiamma thinks in the near future ;)

Burkha said...

sos una idola! amo tus compilados, siempre pones cosas super interesantes y originales. es una adicción.
Besos!!

Chrissy said...

That punch box is such a great idea! Perfect for a birthday party!
You always find the best things!! xxx

Maria said...

Ahhhh, you should be a party planner/gift picker outer!! These are the cutest ideas!! I love the stamp and food dye idea!! And the edible eyes - so cute!! I smiled @ the first tooth pieces...my bf and I have an inside joke abt the toothfairy. :)
Awesome finds! Have a wonderful weekend, Miki!
Xoxox

Nena Nadine said...

That punch set up is just like the game on The Price is Right. You live in California. You should go be in the audience. I would totally flip if you got on stage!