navinavi

August 07, 2012

A happy mailbox and a happy heart

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I do not have many friends. I have very few, but those few are worth a million. I sometimes can't believe how much they spoil me and why they bother to take the time to write such beautiful letters to me. As you can see I lack confidence, ha. I never feel worthy of people's time or attention; that's why I get so extremely happy every single time someone has a nice gesture to me. So believe me when I tell you that your comments and letters are very much appreciated ;).

These past few days I got some amazing packages in my mailbox. I can't express with words how grateful I am to have you and to read what you have to say;  a letter is more than enough to me, honestly. Still, you spoil so much with the things you send!

On Saturday I called my best friend Val because it was her birthday. We spoke for 2 hours! Because I am such a hideous friend that I never call anybody (don't like to use the phone), so when I do, we have a zillion topics to catch up with. Yesterday, the mailman rang my bell and dropped off a box addressed to me. I checked who the sender was and it said: Anthropologie. I had certainly not ordered anything from them, so I was puzzled. As soon as I open the box, I see the name "Valeria". O.M.G.


First of all, there's no Anthropologie in Argentina. Still, she checked their website because she knew I like the brand. I try not be attached to any brand, but I'm not going to lie to you, Anthro has a power that's beyond me. Every time I browse through their stationery, kitchenware and clothes, I swoon. I've only shopped there twice because it's was out of my budge, but I strongly believe I'd buy tons of things from them if I were rich.


When I finally opened the package, I couldn't believe my eyes! It was the watch I wanted so bad! I remember e-mailing her a photo because I knew she was going to like it, too. Her reply said that I couldn't get that watch because that was her favorite color, hahaha!


A couple of months later, here you have her sending me this adorable watch in her favorite color. I am seriously not very attached to objects, but there are a few things I like to keep close to me. One is the little tiny bear I'd given to my mom as gift on a tight Christmas that she used to kiss all the time; after she passed and when it was time to move to the States, that was the first item in my packing list. This watch is definitely going to be one of those precious objects I'll treasure forever. It may sound silly, but if you're a girl, you know what I mean. There are gestures such as giving a friend something you'd like for very own self that mean the world, at least to me.


And there are also friends that I've made along the way that I haven't even met in person and still have a special place in my heart :). They care to ask how I am, give me pieces of advice, have words of encouragement when I feel blue and frustrated, they share their own fears and uncertainties with me, send random texts or photos; in sum, they act as real friends. I'm not going to write a list with names, but you know who you are ;). Thank you for your friendship!

One of such friends is Chantele. She is one of the first girls who started talking to me when I began blogging. She is now super busy writing articles and keeping two jobs, but she always finds the time to send me postcards and letters.


She knows me so well she even included an envelope with magazine scraps she thought I could use ;).


I was also lucky to get another letter from Laura Ly. This girl cracks me up! :P She makes up the funnest words and always has something amusing to say. Love her tons!


As I love all of my dearest friends! Thank you so much for your support and for being there! ;D The material things I showed you today are just an excuse to throw some pictures in this post; don't think it's all about receiving things, I appreciate your friendship, words and time more than anything else ;).

Have a great one! 

And today you can also find me over at Lala Faux Bois, where I'm guest posting for sweet Lisa. Don't know what time my post will be up, though.

* Update: my guest post on Lisa's blog will be published tomorrow.

13 comments:

OtherMix said...

That's so sweet of her to send you that watch! (Nice colour!)
Better a few best friends than a lot you barely know!
And for the "internet" friends I can relate too :3 I actually met one a few years ago online and she is my digital penpal for a few years now and I've met up with her too! She's such a kind person! :3

Anne's Mail said...

I have been drooling over that watch too! And yes, I would probably be much richer if I didn't shop (read:blow an entire paycheck) at anthro. How very sweet of your friend to send you a gift!

SabinePsynopsis said...

What a sweet present! Surely better to have a few good friends than hundreds of insincere ones.

Kirsten said...

You have such great friends! That watch is the most beautiful thing I've seen. I've never really shopped in Anthropologie. The closest one is 2 hours away from me.

I want in on this! I want to send you pretty mail like you sent me. I accidentally recycled your box because slyly saving your return address (ehh, I kicked myself! no surprises now..) So if you could e-mail your address to me maybe? kirstenrenz@yahoo.com


I hope you're staying in good spirits! Fall is almost here...kinda, and that's definitely something to look forward to!

Laura L. said...

Beautiful Miki! What a wonderful post with such great sentiments.

That is a great watch. I imagine you wearing it while being totally awesome.

My store weakness is Crate and Barrel. I go in there and they have mini versions of things and they're so darn cute and I can't resist buying them. Then a month goes by and I'm rooting around in my kitchen and I'll come across a mini kitchen item and think, "what the heck is this and what am I supposed to do with it?!"

Rosie said...

you got some lovely post! the watch especially is gorgeous :D
hope you're good, sorry i haven't been around in a while! :D
Rosie xo
A Pocketful of Rosie

Hello Naka said...

my closest friend is someone i have never met, but we have kept in touch for over 6 years, he's planning on leaving the country though, so maybe i will get to meet him to say thanks for all the help in person before he goes :)

i really love your watch btw :3

Alone in the moon said...

Miki! Hola

Alguien una vez me dijo que es de buen corazón quien agradece los pequeños gestos.

Y aquí lo veo y te felicito por exaltar eso.

Saludos y que tengas una linda semana.

Aquí te sigo leyendo

eli said...

Una genia tu amiga Vale! Sacrificar SU color de reloj para dártelo, no tiene precio jajaa!
Y que alguien te mande scraps por correooo...! quiero yo esa penpal!

Last but not least: te merecés cualquier cosa linda que te regalen, Miki, c'mon!

seelvana said...

qué bueno que las amistades te la levanten
para eso estamos!

Suki said...

I love this post. Friendship is so precious! You have it exactly right: it's not the object AS object but what it embodies about a certain thought or gesture or relationship that counts. I love the human in things. That watch is so much more lovely now than even when you fell in love with it!

Sandy a la Mode said...

i got that watch and LOVE it!!

xo,
Sandy
Sandy a la Mode

lisa said...

Wow! What great mail and a sweet surprise from your friend! That watch is super special! Thank you so much for doing the guest post- I love all of the things is your compendium and you are so funny :) I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me! Hope you're having a good day!