navinavi

June 25, 2012

Fun mail: Light summer package

A couple of weeks ago, I saw this tutorial over at Pinterest and I knew I had to do these sponge balls for our nieces. They got a new pool this weekend, so perfect timing! :) I wanted to make them and send them by mail in a cool container and David happened to mentioned there was a cookie jar shaped like a bear at work which was almost empty; bingo! :p

Photobucket


These sponge balls are meant to be soaked in water and then thrown at each other kind of like this. Sounds like fun, huh? 


They're super cheap and easy to make. If you want to try them, too, here's what you'll need and all the steps to make them.

Photobucket

I bought the sponges at the 99c store, each packet brings 10 sponges and costs 99c.
This is what they look like out of the bag.

Photobucket

The first step is to cut the sponges into strips. Mine were about 8cm wide, so I cut 4 strips out of each one. After that, stack them alternating the colors.

 Photobucket

 Next up, grab them in the middle and use a zip tie to hold the pieces together.


 Photobucket


And that's pretty much it. Place them in whatever container you have (Maybe a Cheese Balls jar if you can't find a bear-shaped cookie jar? Or just a box), write the recipient's address on a label and take your package to the post office :).

  
My bear (with the balls inside) weighs less than 10 ounces, so the shipping cost should be inexpensive. Let's see what they tell me at the post office.

  
Hope the girls play with them! :P

Last but not least, I'd like to announce the giveaway winner. According to random.org, the lucky girl is comment #48; that's Jenna!


Thank you all for taking part in this giveaway and thanks to Shabby Apple!

Stay tuned because there's going to be another giveaway open to everybody soon. 

Have a great week, y'all! ;D

16 comments:

JoAnna said...

Such a cute idea! The bear cookie jar makes it even better :)

Suki said...

I love this idea - both the parcel and the fun Summer sponge balls! :)

Walk This Way said...

This is such a fun idea! I remember I had a similar bear cookie jar when I was little..it's so cute! :)

Have a lovely summer week<3

xx, Jenny

blue said...

Muy buena idea! tengo varios fraquitos para ocupar con estas esponjas...

Liliana said...

This is such a fun idea, it looks extra cute in the bear!

seelvana said...

uy el sorteo me lo perdí, pero ese oso quedó tan lleno de color! divino!

Mary Has Sound said...

Ahh, cute!! I'd love to get something like that in the mail. I bet they'll love it.

Kirsten said...

Man, I'd have more fun making those than playing with them!

Katrin said...

Congratulations to Jenna! :)
And Miki, you are so creative! Love it!

herecomesthesun said...

Such a cute idea, might do this for my nieces :) Thanks for sharing xx

vero mariani said...

hola hola holaaa linda miki!!!! quería color, y acá siempre lo encuentro ;) besazo guapaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Sandy Ang said...

what an adorable idea !

Corina said...

What a great and easy tutorial!
The girls will definitely have fun with the sponges :)
Have a nice day!

Marisa Noelle said...

Oh how adorable!!! When I was working full time - before we moved - I would have loved to have you as my son's nanny!! You simply have the most creative mind I swear Miki!

I remember having little spongy things like this in the pool when I was a kid, but I never would have thought in a million years to make my own. How simple. I'm going to have to keep this in the back of my head for when Keane gets a little older:)

Happy Thursday darling! xx Marisa

Lalav said...

Awwww.. I love your creative mail projects!! Wish I had such a friend!
Lavinia

Jenna (SewSavoirFaire) said...

I know I already know I won this...but I have to tell you I bought a necklace with my gift card I won and I wear it ALL the time! :)

And...those sponges are too cute!

Jenna