navinavi

May 02, 2012

Volunteer appreciation week

A couple of weeks ago it was National Volunteer Appreciation Week and the library I volunteer at organized a little event to commemorate all of its volunteers. I've been going to this library for a year now, so I got some certificates and a photo with the members of the City Council.



I don't have a copy of the formal photo and I haven't even checked if it was published in the local paper. It was nice to hear our bosses talk about us and say how much they appreciate the time we put in the library. Deep down, though, all I wanted to do was beg the people in the room to give me a real job, haha.


That rounded gold thing is a chocolate shaped like the seal of the City of Ontario.


Typically, this time of the year there's a brunch for all the library volunteers in Southern California, but it's been cancelled because there's no budget for it anymore. Last year's  was really interesting and fun.

Volunteering is really rewarding on itself but it was nice to be somehow acknowledged; I'm happy with the experience I've gotten and the people I've met.

And before I leave, let me show you a few more photos. Here are some of the book covers that have caught my eye. Forgive the quality, some of them were taken with my cell phone.


I felt tempted to buy a couple of these just because of their pretty cover, but I have so many books to read at home that I figured it was not worth it yet.



Do you ever buy books just because of their cover?



Yesterday I did buy a few things, but they're all non-fiction. I couldn't help getting my hands on these tour guides and magazines.



Have you ever checked if your local library has a book sale area? If you haven't, you totally should! You'll find amazing bargains and the money raised goes to back to the library ;).

Happy midweek, everybody! ;D

9 comments:

chantilly said...

congratulations, miki!! if anything, i think that this award would be a great thing to put on your resume... employers really dig this sorta stuff ;)

love ya! xx

Katrin said...

Congratulations, Miki!
And I need to go go go and find some bargains and volunteer!

Mary Has Sound said...

Oh man, I wouldn't blame you for buying Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep based on the cover! How lovely!!

My dad has worked at the library since I was born and I used to volunteer there every summer for their Summer Reading Program. My favorite part might have been at the end of the summer when they got rid of the excess prizes/weekly incentives. And by get rid of I mean, I took them home. :-)

My work had a volunteer celebration ceremony this same week. See here: http://www.maryhassound.com/2012/04/celebrate-volunteers.html

Kirsten said...

What fancy stationary! I love it.

vero mariani said...

jajajaajajaj confessions of a teen sleuth! sorry, me tildé con eso y no pude leer mas, apestooooooooooooooo

beso enorme querida!

lisa said...

I think it's so great that you volunteer at the library! It's probably a really rewarding feeling, and Chantilly is right- I'm sure it's great to have on your resume! Especially since you've been doing it for so long. It's always nice to be acknowledged too, and a little positive reinforcement goes a LONG way, employers often forget that, I think... I have so many books that I've bought because of the cover :)

JoAnna said...

Congratulations on your awards :)

I used to volunteer at the library when I was younger. It was so much fun! I volunteered at the humane society last year but I stopped going after I saw one too many injured/dying dogs come into the shelter..It was way too sad.

I need to go to Ontario library and check out their book store. I always go to Pomona's and Upland's.

Chrissy said...

Congrats, girl! I know you put so much energy into your volunteering at the library and I know you're doing great!
I so wish for you to find the right job! I'm sure it will happen!
Hugs xxx

Corina said...

Well done, MIki!!!!
Congratulations once again for your volunteering work!
Regarding your question, I do sometimes buy books because of their covers ;)