navinavi

May 23, 2012

Seel

I must confess that I'm thrilled with this post, because it's not like any other post. Today I want to introduce you to the fabuleux Seel! (aka Seelvana) :D She's one of the Argentine bloggers I had the pleasure to meet after I left the country and learned to love very quickly. She's an artist, a very generous gal and she's so cool she doesn't hesitate to pull out her mate set and sandwich right inside the Louvre, ha! (see bottom right photo)


She has a very special furry assistant :p.


She loves to cook, so it's only natural that she was featured over at The Draw & Cook

Photobucket

She has done works for the city, for private companies and she also takes custom orders from bloggers.


These are some of the blog headers and buttons she has designed.


 Photobucket


Since I want you to get to know her a little better, I asked her a few questions to share here in this blog.

When did you realize you wanted to do art for a living?
It's going to sound a bit silly, but a long time ago a neighbor saw a doll I had made with a toothbrush and he told me I was going to do well with that. Anyhow, I'm not sure what I do qualifies as art; I just know that I draw as a job and for pleasure.

Did you family support your decision?
Mmmm, to an extent they did. I studied a career that's connected with film-making and it's known that that's not a money-making business on this neck of the woods; I'd say the didn't oppose it. Although I afforded all the expenses incurred in throughout the course of my career.


Have you ever considered a different career?
All my options had to do with design or advertising, I started business administration because I thought it was going to lead me to advertising, but I had to drop out for personal reasons and when I decided to go back to university they had opened a career in audiovisual arts.

What inspires you to create?
Mmmm, I'm inspired by everyday situations, I draw about things that have happened to me (such as putting on my undies the wrong way around) and inspirational phrases (be yourself, is one of them). Recipes are more complex but I really like the way they look when they're embellished with drawings.

How did you start doing custom works? Is it hard to interpret what your clients want?
Since I've been working as a graphic designer for 10 years, I can't remember what my actual first work was; I'm pretty sure it must have been something a friend passed on to me because he/she needed to outsource. I do remember my first job as an illustrator, I designed a friend's double book cover.
And generally speaking, it's not difficult to interpret what my clients want; although sometimes they are not even sure of what they want

What artists do you look up to?
Here are 3 of them:

Who would you like to work for? And where would you like to exhibit your art?
I would like to work for myself, haha! I have no idea what company I'd like to work for; I'd like to take up varied kinds of work, have illustration books published, collaborate with other artists is also fun and lets you learn about many different topics! I've just finished working on the graphic design for some software aimed at apiaries and I'm currently illustrating short poems; it's awesome!
As for exhibiting my art, I place no restrictions on the venue; I've only done 3 exhibitions so far, so any place would be fine by me.

What can you see yourself doing in the future?
I've taken up 2 projects that are quite important, so I feel I have a good future in illustration. I believe I'll keep doing this for a few more years before it gets tiring!


I love Seel's style and her way to depict our Argentine idiosyncrasies :); and I am particularly excited about the lovely postcards she has just launched!  I've been lucky enough to get 3 :p.


I've put one on my mood board and I think I'm going to frame the other 2 :p.




Aaaand to celebrate this post, Seel is sharing these downloadable labels with all of you! ;P 
* Click on the image to download the sheet full size.

  Photobucket
If you want to contact her to buy her postcards (which you can browse here), posters or ask her to redesign your blog or whatever other reason, you can do so at the following e-mail address: seelvana@gmail.com. She ships orders worldwide.

You can look into Seel's art in all of the following places:
Blog - FBFlickrTwitter

She speaks English, so don't be shy and hop on over to her blog to show her some luv! ;D She's a doll.


Hope you are all having a wonderful week!

12 comments:

Mary Has Sound said...

Oh my gosh! This girl is like a dream come true. :-) Thanks for sharing her awesomeness!

Katrin said...

Her designs are great! And I love her furry assistant!

seelvana said...

graciaaaas!
Me gustaron mucho las fotos de la spostales en tu ambiente!
Gracias de nuevooo!

Flor said...

La flaca es grosa....cuando sea famous yo voy a decir "ella solía darme bola". Grosa y buena.
Bien Miki por este post!
Besos a las dos.

Meli. said...

Miky!! tantícimo tiempo!!!! estaba con abstinencia de blogger! y que mejor que volver para comentarte por Sil! :) es una geeeenia!

Kirsten said...

This is all so cute! I admire people so much that can come up with such awesome things.

I wish I could understand the language, but I'm following because of how sweet everything is. Thanks for sharing!

lisa said...

I love your style, Seel! This was so great to read, since I'm wanting to be a graphic designer it's always interesting to see how other people got into the field. Thanks for sharing!

ceci a. said...

Seel es adorable!
tiene un sentido del humor único
y un sentido del color a prueba de seguidilla de días grises
Seel siempre parece pasarte un trapo por la cara como diciéndote, y dale neeena, qué puchereás, dale, que la vida es linda, no pierdas tiempo, dibujá, metele onda, color! Así es para mi Seel: todo un desafío para las que tenemos una tendencia a la nostalgia o la melancolía.
Love her!
Como a vos Miki!
<3

ceci a. said...

Ahh y tuve el honor de que me hiciera la apertura de sosloqueamás compilando lo mejor d emi mundito.

Marisa Noelle said...

Oh my goodness Miki - how awesome and adorable is she! Each one of her illustrations is so sweet and it's pretty cool how versatile her work is. I kind of wish it was a field I got into...seems like so much fun. My mom's a graphic designer too.

Lovely feature darling gal! Hope your having a splendiful week:) xx Marisa

chantilly said...

her work looks really lovely, miki! thank you for introducing us to her. gonna go peek at her site now :)

Mappsolutely App Development Company said...

She is completely awesome. :)