navinavi

May 13, 2012

Mother's Day gift fail

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms and moms-t0-be out there! ;D Thank you for having the courage to bring new little people to the world and raising them into great human beings! I can't even think about how much effort and love is put in the upbringing of a child; nor do I know if I'll ever have what it takes to be a good mother, but let's just leave the subject there.

Today I want to show you my failed attempt at making presents for the mothers in our family. Let me just start by saying that as soon as I realize my little project was not going to look at all like what I had in mind, I remembered this photo I had liked on Pinterest. Hahaha! Isn't it hilarious? :P


Anyway, since we didn't want to spend money on presents, I thought I could make a little something myself. I had many mason jars and a box of Funfetti, so I thought I could just buy some cream, food dye, make rainbow cake and put everything in the jars. I wanted to mix these concepts.


My idea of baking rainbow cake was thrown out of the window when I was unable to find food dye at Walmart on Friday. I was going to try to find it somewhere else the next day, but I got food poisoned and couldn't make it to the store. David did go grocery shopping alone, but I didn't want him to go through the trouble of finding the dye, so I just asked him to get a box of red velvet cake mix instead. Of course, they had run out of red velvet mix! I should have given up on my whole home-made gift idea, but nope, I didn't. I asked David to get strawberry cake mix and strawberries to do something more towards the line of the third photo above. 


I baked the mix in different pans but didn't think the cake was going to grow so much, so I ended up having really thick layers :/. I also didn't have a rounded cookie cutter, so I used a glass to cut circles (ugly and uneven circles).


When I realized this wasn't going to work out, I told David we were not going to take the jars. However, this morning I gave it another try. I washed and cut the strawberries (the best and yummiest strawberries I've ever tried, may I add) and whipped the cream.


I had a small beater, so reaching the Chantilly point took longer than ever before.


Almost there ...


I don't have a pastry bag, so I improvised one with a zipper bag, haha.




They looked poopy :(, but I used them anyway because I didn't want to get there empty-handed.


 
My advice: if you're planning to make gifts with your own hands, make sure you have all the necessary elements and you know what you're doing. Next Mother's Day, I'll buy proper presents; lesson learned.

Hope you're ready to start a new week with a big smile! ;D

19 comments:

Suki said...

Haha I LOVE that photo you found via Pinterest! That's real life, right?

But I must say I think you're being way too hard on yourself - your jars look pretty and sweet to me, and I'd be super happy to receive one!

Sounds like you had every obstacle possible come your way and you did an awesome job with what you had! If you hadn't shared all those disasters I would have just thought, "what sweet and yummy gifts"!

On being a mum: I constantly question whether I am cut out to be a decent mum, and my little boy is nearly two! I had no idea how hard it would be and I'm now in awe of mothers all over the world coping with way harder situations than me (including my own mum)! It's totally worth it though :)

Katrin said...

The jars look awesome! :))
And I always fail when I try to bake something fancy so don't worry.haha

Carrie said...

I think they look great!

ceci a. said...

Mikiiiii
sos una ternuraaaaaaaaaa
te fallaron los mosntruitos pero hiciste unos frasocs increíbles!!!
Me encantaron mucho MUCHO
te felicito

Marisa Noelle said...

Aw no way Miki - I think they look so sweet and beautiful! Perfection is way overrated anyways, right? Next year, I want to try doing some DIYs for my mother and mother-in-law. These are such a cute idea - and honestly I don't think mine would have looked half as delightful as yours:)

Have the happiest Monday darling! Thanks for the mother's day wishes:) xx Marisa

hellobunnies said...

The jars do look fabulous! Better than what I can do. did they end up tasting good? That's the more important part :D

seelvana said...

heyyy!
te quedaron muy buenas!
desde la miniatura creí que los monstruos eran tuyos y me dio mucha risa!

Maca Guillen said...

hahahaha xD los monstruos

LAS LOLITAS said...

Qué hermosa torta!! Feliz día a todas las madres del mundo!

vero mariani said...

jajajaajaajajjajjaajjajajajaajajajaajajajajaajajaja que genia sos mikiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! me matas! sos lo maaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

chantilly said...

they SO do not look poopy! they are amazing and adorable, just like you. oh and ps, i love that first picture with the cookie monsters. i feel like that picture could just be a metaphor for life sometimes.

personalised gifts said...

Really great idea, Thank you for sharing.

Colleen Beaty said...

Oh my god, those poor melty cupcakes! Your cake-in-a-jar actually looks really nice, not sad or poopy at all.

Ziploc bags are fabulous for frosting in a pinch! A couple of friends and I made a rainbow cake once. We didn't have pastry bags either, so we used ziploc bags and it worked perfectly.

lissa said...

the final looks good to me. I think it's the effort that counts. If I got this, I would glad and knowing someone had gone through the trouble just to make it, makes me happy.

have a sweet day.

lisa said...

You are crazy! They look super pretty and so yummy and I'm sure they loved to receive this thoughtful, handmade gift! I also love the first picture from Pinterest- I feel like that often :)

Kirsten said...

I think those jars look awesome!!

And that cookie monster thing made me laugh. The "fails" are kind of adorable though.

Alexiev said...

mmm...

Best wishes from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar
Proyectos - Illustrations
Alexiev Store - venta de originales
@alexievg en twitter

Hank hendricks said...

I think it's the effort that counts...you make it easy to follow.

Send gifts to pakistan

shahbaz khan said...

I think your handmade will make a perfect use for me to Send gifts to Pakistan on eid. DO you like to suggest some more collection about it?