navinavi

April 11, 2012

DIY: Bubble wrap hopscotch

Hello, everybody! Today, I want to show you a little DIY I prepared for our younger niece. After seeing Amber Lee's post, I knew I had to do this bubble wrap hopscotch. Who doesn't like to pop the bubbles, right? Stepping on them to pop them is probably twice as fun; let's see what Breanne has to say after she gets it ;). Aaand, since I'm now into sending packages in unconventional containers, I sent this hopscotch without any wrapping at all :p.


I'm planning to keep posting about little projects I'm preparing for our nieces, so expect a few more DIY kinda posts. And, yes, I want the girls to think I'm a cool auntie, hehe :p.

Anyhow, if you want to make this bubble wrap hopscotch for your nieces/nephews/ kids (or yourselves, haha), you'll need the following materials:


- bubble wrap
- scissors
- an X-acto knife
- Scotch tape
- glue
- a ruler
- a marker
- colorful construction paper (or any other kind of paper)
- sturdy cardboard (I used a cereal box)

I wanted to send the game without any wrapping, so I chose some sturdy cardboard to make the "package" stronger and more solid.

First off, I cut two 19cm x 19cm squares of cardboard and then wrapped them in blue construction paper. You can, of course, choose different measurements but these ones worked fine for the materials I had and I think are ok for my 8-year-old niece's small feet.


You can use glue or double-sided tape to stick the construction paper to the cardboard.


Next up comes the tedious part, that is cutting 10 "perfect" 19cm x 19 cm bubble wrap squares. I recommend using an X-acto knife for this part and scissors to perfect the messy edges.


Once you've finished cutting the squares, you're pretty much done ;). You just need to write down the numbers on the flat side of your squares and the rules on the back of one of the cardboard lids.


The rules are:
1. Lay out numbers as shown.
2. Toss the marker on square one.
3. Skip square one and hop on all the other numbers, using only one foot for single squares, both feet for doubles. Then turn and hop back, stopping one square before the marker (you must balance on one foot if it is a single square), and bend over and pick up your marker. Then finish hopping home.
4. If you over throw the marker or lose balance then you end your turn. Continue with remaining numbers (2, 3, 4, 5…) until done.


It'll only take you one or two hours tops. It's a cheap project and more importantly, fun! :p

In order to send it through the regular mail, I piled up the squares and placed the blue lids on each end. I wrote my address and my niece's address on the front and used wide Scotch tape to close the package.
Erm, the pencil and the bow are there to cover our addresses.


I'm not sure you can see the transparent tape; I made a cross with it to keep the hopscotch within the lids. You can probably see it better on the back lid.


The shipping was $1.95 without confirmation or insurance.

Hope Breanne likes it! ;)

And hope you are all having a great week! ;D

Hugs!

12 comments:

eli said...

Aahhh te digo Miki: yo no podría terminar el proyecto porque mi tentación de apretar los cositos sería mayor!! ya lo recibió?

vero mariani said...

jajajajajajajajajajajajajaajajajajajajajajaajajajajaj coincido con eli, yo me los apretaría todo! sos tan linda, qué buen regalo!!!!

amy said...

This is absolute magic! I love the idea... might take it for myself... You're never too old right?! ;)

sending you happy spells

amyflyingakite.com

RideToFight said...

Haha! This is awesome, such a cool idea and easy to make. I think I should make one for my office at work, liven up the day a little - who says kids should have all the fun. x

LAS LOLITAS said...

Miki qué divertido! Vamos a ver si lo probamos para el local ;) jajaja! Besos y buen día!

Hello Naka said...

awh so cute ^_^ i love bubble wrap :3 nice DIY!

Carrie said...

hey girl!!! how cute is this :)

Bianca J said...

Ahaha, this is so adorable. It would be so fun to receive that in the mail. My cats love bubble wrap too.

Kirsten said...

What a fantastic combination of things! I want to do this and I'm 20!!

Mary Has Sound said...

I'm not even half way down your first page and I'm in love with you. Hop scotch and bubble wrap? You just combined two amazing things and I LOVE it. In my Life Appreciation class I teach at work I covered all of the tables, chairs, and floor in bubble wrap and we played a game of who can pop the must bubbles in a certain period of time and had a bubble wrap fashion show/runway!

Mama Jodi said...

What a fun idea. I love it. Very creative.

Rory Fugerson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.