navinavi

November 14, 2011

DIY: Easy ways to embellish Christmas cards

I'm sure most of you guys send greeting cards for Christmas/New Year's. In my case, being that I'm thousands of miles away from my home country, I have tons to send! I like writing and sending them, but above all, I love personalizing each and every one of them so that the people receiving my cards know that I have not just randomly bought a card and put it inside an envelope. However, being that the shipping alone is already kind of pricy, I can't go too nuts with what I spend to embellish and personalize my cards. Wanna see some very easy and cheap ideas I've used?


As you probably already know I love magazines. Once I've read them, I always tear the pages I think that might come in handy for future projects. Here are a couple of things you can do by using magazines, glue, a cotton swab and a paper cutter.

 

You can cut strips (like the ones in the first photo. Mine are 1.5 cm wide) and intertwine  them like this:

 

I chose to stick them on an envelope. If you want you can cover the pattern in transparent tape to protect it, but I remember that in Argentina some employees at the post office rejected envelopes/packages which were sealed with tape :/.



I'm obsessed with cutting pictures of clothes :p, can't help myself. If you ask me, Lucky magazine brings the best photos because they do not write the prices of the items on them ;).

 

I also cut pictures of bows, hearts and anything cute and colorful.


You can arrange and glue these small pictures to add a personal touch to your cards/envelopes/stationery.



I know this might look a bit obsessive and time consuming, but I also keep single letters and words in envelopes, hehe. I like writing the names of the recipients in kidnap-message style. 


Adding fortunes from fortune cookies is a detail that some of my friends have very much appreciated, especially because you don't usually get fortune cookies when you order Chinese food in Argentina. I glue them on actual pictures of cookies, haha. 
And yep, I also keep the wrapping paper, boxes and cute packaging of the products we buy :/!

 


These are the only things which I have especially bought for this project: Scrabble tiles. I bought the whole set of 100 pieces on E-Bay. It's also possible to buy the single tiles of the letters you want, but they charge you more per letter. 

I thought it'd be fun to send my friends their names written in Scrabble tiles :p. I put the tiles and the cards/letters in sandwich bags and I also filled them with shredded red and green construction paper to add a Christmassy hint.  
Have I mentioned that I love using the shredder? :p


Aaaand I used window crayons to decorate the sandwich bags a little; of course you can do the same with permanent markers.

 

See? You don't need to spend much to embellish your stationery! ;D
Hope you liked these very simple ideas!

Have a great week, everyone!

11 comments:

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

La la la LOVE this post! What amazing ideas. x hivenn

Jamie said...

Goshhhhh!! For some reason your pictures don't show up for me any more! =[ From the sounds of it, though, these are super amazing ideas!

p.s. Thanks for always being such a sweetheart! <3

Courtney said...

This is so fun! I totally want to do crafts all day now and send cute prettily packaged things to people all across the world.

Chrissy said...

How fun! Such a wonderful post with amazing ideas!! Thanks, sweetie! xxx

Chrissy said...

How fun! Such a wonderful post with amazing ideas!! Thanks, sweetie! xxx

vero mariani said...

sos grosaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! es tan simple y lo haces tan lindo que dan ganas de poner manos a la obra! bien miki!! you rock!

ceci said...

Hola Mikiii! Voya ver si encuentro la tarjeta que nos dio una amiga y vecina muy querida el año pasdo, que era tan tierna, tan tierna y bricollage que le ganaba a la mejor tarjeta de Tintha u otro lugar de stationery, posta. Un beso enorme, muy uenos tips!

alexandra grecco said...

great blog!

xx
alexandra

lisa said...

These are good ideas and I'm happy to see I'm not the only person that saves wrapping and scrap paper for future uses! :)

Corina said...

Just adorable!
I should try to do something similar one day :) Have a nice day, Miki!

Hank hendricks said...

Like the way you use the paper...I will use this for Gift Card envelopes.