navinavi

October 03, 2011

To start the week with a smile

Happy Monday, everybody! And thanks a lot for your sweet comments in my previous post! ;) I've just realized that such a post is kind of down to start a new week, so I decided to lift the vibes up with some pretty pictures from here (Cali) and there (Buenos Aires, my home city) :).

Some of the things I miss the most about Buenos Aires are:
- its European architecture. Cookie cutter homes don't exist there; every house is different and you see different styles depending on the neighborhood. Some of them remain the same from colonial times.

-   There's something special about family circles; most families cherish spending time with each other and usually gather to drink mate and have lunch or dinner together. I guess this is a trait of our Italian heritage. Btw, I'm not saying this does not happen here in America, it just feels different because, well, my family is not here, haha.
   
- Cafes and tea houses! Oooh, I miss them so much! Indie food businesses are abundant and way better than chains!









 
 Photos by Ana Armendariz


 Photos by Flaneur

Some things I'm looking forward to doing here are:
-  experiencing autumn this time of the year (it's spring now in Argentina) and learning more about all the different activities connected with this season and Halloween. People are picking their own pumpkins in pumpkin patches and going to corn mazes right now!

-  Visiting more places I've never seen before and seeing snow :). We're planning to go to Big Bear again; there's lots of snow there in winter.

- Eating autumn and winter food I haven't tried yet :p.


 









Have a great week, everybody!

Except for the 2 jerks who sprayed Dante with a fire extinguisher yesterday! :(
 

10 comments:

Carrie said...

you need to go to a corn maze they are so fun!!! And carve a pumpkin :)

patience said...

awesome photos (although i'm craving a donut now which sucks...)

i know what you mean about the cookie cutter houses. although i've gone backwards. where i come from they are all cookie cutter but in my new city they are all so very different which is awesome! (seriously though, when i was younger, there were two other kids in my CLASS alone that had the exact same house layout as we did...but backwards!)

chantilly said...

buenos aires sounds amazing.

...i've always thought it was weird how american culture seems so distant in their family circles. one of the happiest times in my life was when my aunt and uncle moved in with us to live for a year.

x

lissa said...

great pics to start the week. now if only houses here are like buenos aires. I do old-fashion houses.

thanks for sharing. have a sweet week!

Courtney said...

Lovely! The photos bring me to another place. I would love to go spend an afternoon at a cafe or tea house today! Thanks for sharing that. And I love your positive attitude about being here and trying the new autumn and winter foods. Fun!

Courtney said...

Lovely! The photos bring me to another place. I would love to go spend an afternoon at a cafe or tea house today! Thanks for sharing that. And I love your positive attitude about being here and trying the new autumn and winter foods. Fun!

Jamie said...

I'm so happy that I started following your blog! =] I'm very excited to follow your journey through the fall and winter! I wish I could hang out with you and show you some ropes around my neck of the woods!

vero mariani said...

qué lindo post miki, recalcaste lo mejor de buenos aires! y lo mejor de tu post? el mirar para adelante ;)

besazoooo!

eli said...

Y ahora te va a tocar experimentar Halloween! Se impone un post para el cono sur :)
Beso!!

Corina said...

Halloween preparations and visiting new places sounds great!
I'm sure you don't miss dirty streets and traffic ;) huh?
Enjoy the day!