navinavi

September 20, 2011

Recycling old books

Hello, folks! Good morning/afternoon/evening! Depending on when you read this ;p. I took these pictures yesterday, but I'm glad I haven't posted them till now, because, well, yesterday was not that good of a day. Every time I wake up asthmatic (like yesterday), I have several different nightmares which ruin my day. I know they're just nightmares, but now that my mom has passed away, whenever I dream about her, I don't know, those dreams stick with me and disturb me the whole day ... Does that happen to you, too?

Today is a happy day, though, so I'm in a much better mood :). I got my green card yesterday in the mail, which is great. Right now I'm enjoying my morning coffee while listening to the radio; Zooey Deschanel will be there in a while. Plus, it seems it's going to rain, yay! I love rain :p.

Anyway, yesterday I went through some library tossers I'd brought home before the recycling staff  put their hands on them and came up with a few ideas. 

Cards & gift tags


This is the first book I worked on. It has lots of interesting images, both big and small. I used the bigger ones to make cards and the smaller ones to make gift tags.


To make the cards and gift tags, I used: book pages, construction paper, a paper cutter, a punch, glue and a cotton swab.


There's not much to explain, really; I just glued the pictures onto the construction paper by means of a cotton swab in order to avoid bubbles and wrinkles, and after a few minutes I cut the pictures and made a hole on top.



Since we don't have fortune cookies in Argentina, I always include a fortune when I send a letter there. I thought it'd be a good idea to glue fortunes on some of these cards. Of course I only send the cool fortunes, hehe; some of them are weird!


Garlands
I also used some pages of the same book to make a garland which can also be used to wrap a present, maybe? ;)


To make this garland, I used: book pages, a heart-shaped cookie cutter, some ribbon, scissors, a marker, glue and a cotton swab.


This, too, is very simple. I folded the pages so I could take 2 exact same hearts every time, drew the hearts, cut them and then glued a heart on each side of the ribbon. Start gluing the paper hearts from the middle to the sides of the ribbon.



Envelopes
To make these envelopes I used a book about European cafes, scissors, glue and a cotton swab.



Here's a picture where you can see how I've folded the sheet of paper before I glued the edges.

 
It's a no-brainer and you can actually fold the sheet in many different ways as long as the envelope looks neat ;). Make sure you fold the edges inwards, so you can not see them once you close and seal the envelope.




Easy peasy!
You can do all of the above with pretty much any kind of paper (as long as it's sturdy enough).

Hope you're having a great day! ;D

Hugs! 

 

20 comments:

Heike said...

Congrats on your GreenCard!
I HATE rain! Had too much of it Germany!
Have a wonderful day!
Heike

Carrie said...

very cool ideas thanks for sharing! Glad you are having a better day :)

Carrie

Corina said...

Hello Miki!
Congrats on the green card and it's good to know you're having a good day :)
I love the way you've always recycled things and this is not the exception... Great work!
I hope you have a lovely week :)

Courtney said...

Yay for a greet card!!!!! Love the ideas in this post. I would love to try it out! Gotta find me some old books. So glad to hear you got the bracelet Miki. Thanks for commenting on my blog about it.

Jamie said...

How crafty! =] I love the heart garland most!

Teryn said...

I love your little creations so much! You know, I've found that if I have a bad, disturbing, or uncomfortable dream, it puts me in a weird mood all day - even if I can't really remember it! Isn't that strange?

Vantage Point Vintage said...

This is such a cool idea, awesome post!

Hearts,
Nicole http://www.vantagepointvintage.com/blog/

Sandy a la Mode said...

love the heart garland it is super cute! and congrats on getting your green card! p.s. your banner is cute!!

Jenna (SewSavoirFaire) said...

Yaaay Miki! You're officially official...congrats on the green card!
And you are so creative...very cool what you've done with all the books. I love the gift tags. There is something so pleasing about using books as decoration like you did. Very neat!

Rosie said...

love the gift tags!
id love to get a gift tag like that :)
good evening to you too btw! :D
Rosie xo

vero mariani said...

miki sos lo maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas! muy bueno este post, adoro tu blog! y gracias por la buena onda de siempre :)

beso enormeeeee!

chantilly said...

these are realllly great ideas, miki! i'm sorry to hear that your last couple of days haven't been that great, and i'm sorry to hear about your mom :( i hope you feel better soon... you're beautiful! xx

Moorea Seal said...

great ideas!!
-Moorea

Mamushka Marie said...

LOVE these ideas and using cookie cutters as stencils, amazing!

starsunflowerstudio said...

Oh so very fun. I have some old magazines I could do this with. How inspiring! :)

Hope you resolve your nightmares. Sweet you got your green card! ::hugs:: <3

Mandy said...

This is awesome. What great ideas. I'd love it if you shared this at my link party that began today. www.projectqueen.org

Jenn Erickson said...

Visiting by way of the party at Running with Glitter. I love all your creative ways of giving old books a new life! Beautiful!

New follower,
Jenn/Rook No. 17

lauryn said...

wow! this is such a great post. i love the garland. i would love for you to link this or any other post up to my link party flashback fridays....a place where bloggers can link up vintage, retro, old posts, or anything that comes to mind when hearing the word "flashback".
here is the link if you are interested:
http://lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2011/10/flashback-fridays-6.html

{love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Deborah March said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah March said...

GREAT project...and so frugal too...WTG you!!