navinavi

May 13, 2011

Luncheon in a library

On Wednesday, I had the pleasure to attend the 2011 Friends of the Library Annual Conference held at the amazing San Bernardino County Library.


It's an event for volunteers from all the libraries located in Southern California. Each library sends a couple of their volunteers (generally members of their Friends of the Library board) to excange ideas with fellow volunteers and spend a nice day together.


I started volunteering not so long ago, but since I've been very constant they decided I deserved to go :D. They named me co-chair to be able to attend, which was nice :). I'm sure most of you won't find this post interesting, but it was a big day to me, so I thought it should make it to my blog, hehe. This was the first time that I did something on my own; I mean without my husband or his family. I was hesitant to go, but I'm glad I did; it was a great day.


San Bernardino County Library is just amazing! It's huge, modern and beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of its front door.






We had breakfast on the first floor before it opened to the public. There was lots of food :p.



This is what I grabbed for myself. I couldn't  finish the pancake or the muffin; I regret that now, hehe. 

It was cool to eat breakfast surrounded by books! :)



Look at this modern computer area! The colorful lights on top moved in circles.



The Friends of the Library here have their bookstore in a separate room. In the library where I volunteer we don't.



After breakfast, there were speeches by people from the different libraries and inspirational speakers.


Later on, we were taken to a theater next to the library to have lunch and some other activities.




This place was beautiful, too. This time we were grouped according to our tasks, so I had to share the table with strangers.



This was my lunch and dessert. The cake was delicious :p!


There was even a performance by Albert Einstein, hehe.


It was a very productive day; I got to meet my wonderful mates more, I talked to strangers who turned out to be kind and I learn a lot :D.

Hope you've all had a great week too and are getting ready for the weekend! ;)

7 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun! So glad you had such a great time! That library looks amazing! I would love to go there!!
Hey, sweetie, you won the giveaway on my blog - congrats! Will send Chloe your information!
Hugs xxx

Scorpio78 said...

Books*(Breakfast+Lunch).Food = Literary Meal?

You see? There's nothing wrong on Volunteering. In your case, you feed people's minds with organized books, and you got your stomach fed too.

Seriously talking, Volunteering is Great!

chantilly said...

hi there!

thank you for the sweet comments on my blog! hope you got the opportunity to grab some free tuneage as well :) also your cats are adorableee.

xoxoxo

~chantilly

Ania Alonso said...

great place!
Spanish kisses for you!

Jess said...

Awesome blog! Please stop by and follow me at www.ageekswifeandherdog.com and feel free to link up with Friendly Friday Follow too :)

Nena Nadine said...

Sounds like fun. Love the modern computer set up.

daisymay aka Chantele said...

Wow, what an awesome library, I love libraries! Looks like a fun event! Lots of yummy food I guess!

Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home
Don’t forget to enter my Alex Keller Giveaway