navinavi

May 06, 2011

Judging books by their cover

As some of you know, I've been volunteering at a library for a few months now. Whenever I can (whenever I'm left alone in the warehouse, that is), I take my cell phone out of my pocket and snap as many pictures as I can. Today I thought I might show you some of the most original covers / coolest books / odd stuff I've found while going through the donations that are later put for sale.

But first, let me show you some of my latest purchases.


As you can see, I've bought lots of magazines and weird stuff such as a sticker album (with lots of stickers that can still be used!) and Japanese notebooks to practice writing kanji (both in the pic below). Oh, and the opened one to the right is not a book either, but an old schedule book. The reason I got it is because it has lots of pictures of flowers I thought I could use for crafts.


I usually see books about unbelievable topics, but when I saw this one, I couldn't believe my eyes! I didn't buy it at first, but after a couple of days, I felt I had to, haha.



Yes, they're comparing cats to actual artists! I could scan the whole book, it's a blast, but I don't want to bore you too much.



Keeping up with the kitties (one of my favorite topics, hehe), these are some that called my eye but didn't make it home.



There are many books that are not just books and bring an extra something, like these two:






For a buck per book, I could be bringing even more stuff home, but I can't keep buying things that I just might read or use. I almost bought this one, though. It looks good for kids, very entertaining, I guess.




Here are some covers I found clever and/or eye appealing.






I hate books by authors who try to sell people "recipes for life". I wonder if such books have worked for anybody ... I don't know, maybe I'm just being too judgemental, but what can I say? I'm not a Deepak Chopra fan (like at all).


We can usually tell when a whole bundle belonged to one same person when we see many books by same writer or about the same topic. Last week, we received about twenty medical books, for instance; and today, I found all these about art.


Oh, boy! I totally regret not having purchased at least one of these :/. Let's see if they're still there on Monday ...


I totally hate this picture, by the way. It's an art gallery guide that was inside one of these books above.


I guess I should read this one before ranting on that pic, though, hehe.


Anyway, my favorite bundles are those obviously owned by old people; they're little treasures! There are lots of classics, first editions and antiques.




So, check all the books really well before you decide to donate them to the library. You don't want to accidentally get rid of relic or a signed copy! ;) And also check the boxes if someone else packed them with books for you; it's not unusual to find stuff like this among them:


Yes, you guessed right; it's an Ipod case, haha.

I apologize for the pic overload and their bad quality; they were taken with my phone in a poorly lit room :/.

I wish you all a great weekend! :D Have fun!

7 comments:

Scorpio78 said...

If some of these books are odd, imagine their owners.

I rather those cats books, origami magic, and the calligraphy one.
Yes! I suck in calligraphy, that's why!

Laura said...

I love all those cat books! The cats making art looks incredibly entertaining!

The book on France looks neat too! :)

Lindsey said...

"WHY CATS PAINT" - ahahahaha, I've seen that book before, it looks hard to take seriously XD But good entertainment lol!

Hello Naka said...

i wanna have that origami book it looks like funa dn lmao i never knew ctas painted D:

Nena Nadine said...

Thanks for sharing your libary finds. I like looking at other peoples 'junk'. I agree on the life self help books. I had to read one for a job once and attend seminars on it. The book was just about common since and Karma. But told in a pretentious way. It's nice that it changed the owners life and made him a better person. Just didn't like that he shoved it down our throats.

Vicki said...

haha what a random selection of books! :) x

Lisa said...

I love books with cats as well! Especially old ones :)

xo Lusa