navinavi

April 15, 2011

Pimping letters

These past couple of days, I've been focusing on writing letters to my friends in Buenos Aires and to some of you whom I've met here :D. Well, I still haven't started writing them, but I think I'm pretty much done with decorating the stationery I'm writing those letters on.

I have this adorable little ream of stationery we bought at Staples a while ago, but I wanted to add a little something to it. Since I'm not good at drawing or painting, I used some pictures I took from magazines.


I only stuck one or two pictures on the blank side, because my handwriting is kind of big and because I wanted to focus on the back of the sheet.


Fashion magazines are a great source of colorful pics. It sometimes takes some patience to trim the edges, but I'm sure the recipient will appreciate the work, so it's woth it.


I  like to stick pictures that go beyond the edge a little, so they create a nice effect when you fold the letter.


Since you don't normally get fortune cookies in Chinese restaurants in Argentina, I thought my friends would enjoy getting the fortunes I've been putting aside. I've hidden a few at the library I'm volunterring and decided to use the rest now. I didn't want to send the whole cookie so I decided to make my own flat fortune cookies :p.


I used pictures of cookies ... and well, ice cream sandwiches as well, haha. 


I stuck light brown construction paper to cover the writing on the back and the fortunes afterwards. Whenever I need to glue paper, I apply it by means of cotton swabs so that the paper does not wrinkle.


I didn't find enough pictures of cookies, so I also used free postcards where I glued the fortunes and magazine pages to make envelopes.



And lastly, to decorate the cards I'm sending, I used Zip Lock bags, construction paper and a shredder.



I was going to use magazine pages and leaflets, but I figured all these colorful sheets would look good together. By the way, I'd shred paper all day long! It's fun! :p.


I put some shredded paper in the bigger bag and then the card in the smaller one.



It's not necessary to put the card inside a bag, but I like the way it looks like this. The next step is to put the smaller bag (or just the card) into the bigger bag.




There are lots of things you can do to decorate your stationery! Hope you can use some of these simple ideas! ;D

And have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Rosie said...

ahhh beautiful ^.^
i would love to receieve a letter like that! :D
i've tagged you in a post ^.^
http://rosiesherratt.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-feel-most-beautiful-when.html

:D

Laura said...

Hi Miki!

What a fun idea. :) I used to love writing letters to friends. I may have to start doing that again. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Laura :)

Hello Naka said...

awh such cute ideas ^^ i love the shredded coloured paper. its sweet uve taken so much time decorating it :3 Im sure the recipents will love it!

Chrissy said...

Aw, you always come up with the cutest ideas! Lovely!!! Have a wonderful weekend!! xxx

kenzie said...

how cute are YOU? such cute ideas.
thanks for sharing. its a total reminder i need to send more MAIL.
have a great weekend, chica. :)

daisymay aka Chantele said...

Aww Miki you are so fun and creative! Love the shredded paper bag, you did that with my little gift too, which by the way I use all the time!

Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home

Nena Nadine said...

I think everyone would be happy to receive these even without you writing letters on them. :P Thanks for the tip. $60 isn't bad at all. We were thinking it would be upwards of $200. Were gonna try Shopko. It's like Walmart but I think it's only in Wisconsin.

Lindsey said...

This is such an amazing entry full of awesomeness hehe! I really love the confetti idea at the end. And it's really got me craving an ice cream sandwich :O

Raynata said...

I love the fortune cookie idea!

T. said...

I love this! =)

BLahblah Abi said...

This is really, really nice and thoughtful and creative and ahhhh :)

well done!


http://blahblahabi.blogspot.com