navinavi

March 16, 2011

Veggie recipe: okra & basmati rice

Yes, this is my blog, you're not wrong. Believe it or not, I'm posting a recipe and not only that, it's a veggie recipe! I'm by no means a vegetarian, but this dish I made a couple of days ago is absolutely vegetarian-friendly (eh?).

Last week, David's aunt took me to Farmers Market here in Ontario, California (not Canada). It's a place where you can find lots of vegetables grown by local farmers as well as exotic ingredients you probably won't find in the major chains. That same day, I went back with David and we bought a few things there; my most precious find was okra!

I was very happy to find it there! I hadn't eaten okra (bamias, in Spanish) for years. It reminds me of when I was a child and my mom and my aunts would occasionally make it. For those of you who haven't tried it yet, let me warn you: it's very slimy (but not in a gross way), it doesn't have a strong flavor (although it tastes good enough for me) and it has a peculiar texture (not gross either).

I used to eat it with Japanese white rice, but I decided to use basmati because of its fragrance; I thought both ingredients could work well together, and they did. I used less than a pound of okra and two small cups of basmati rice for two servings.


Mind you: basmati rice absorbs more water than regular white rice, so I put two cups of rice and almost four cups of water in the rice cooker.

As for the okra, you have to wash it first (obviously), remove the tips and slice them on the bias.


Some people only remove the upper part and don't slice them, but I like them this way.



I reccomend preparing the rice first, and as the rice is cooking, start dealing with the okra.
Ok, after you've sliced the okra, place the slices in a big pan like the one you can see below.
 

Add enough water to cover the okra, but not too much. That's why it's better to use a frying pan instead of a saucepan. You should also add salt at this point.
 

Boil for ten minutes and move the okra with a wooden spoon from time to time. By that time, the rice should be done (if cooked in a rice cooker, anyway), so you'll be ready to serve both things in a bowl or plate.


I've read recipes where they stir-fry the okra with other vegetables or put them in tomato sauce, but this is the only way I can imagine eating them.

Hope you feel like trying this one day! Happy Wednesday, everyone!

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

Mmh...I love okra! Looks really yummy!!

featherfactor said...

I love okra :) You did a great job! I'm kitchen inept unfortunately but love looking at other food posts!

www.featherfactor.com

Ashley said...

I absolutely hate okra. Here in the south, people only eat it breaded and fried. So gross. Yours doesn't look so bad, but I still wouldn't eat it. It has a furry/spikey skin! I love you miki, but i HATE okra :)

ps I made your mix today :D

goodbadnfab said...

Your post is simply amazing! Loves it! I'm now subscribing to your blog on my google reader!

Please check out my blog when you get a chance.

http://www.goodbadnfab.blogspot.com
a fashion lawyer by day, fashion police by night...I play at red carpet events, shop all over town, and live life in the fab lane in LA!

Fin Ryder said...

Okra is hard to work with from my past experience - I tried to "healthily" bread it but nothing wanted to stick to it. I will try your recipe when I get my hands on some again and see how it goes :) Thanks for putting Okra back on my radar!

Figs said...

In order to succeed this recipe you have to use Diamond Pearl Basmati Rice. This is a Pure Indian Basmati rice. If you want more informations go on the website http://www.sonaimpex.net or send a mail at info@sonaimex.com