navinavi

March 21, 2011

My first day volunteering for the library

I've been living in America for  over a month now and so far, I haven't done anything profitable. Anything of real value, I mean. I'm not legally able to apply for a job yet; I don't drive; I don't have friends; I'm pretty much all day stuck in the house ... which I don't mind too much, but the time has come to at least start doing something.


A couple of weeks ago, David and I called a public library to see if I could volunteer there. There were a few phone calls back and forth, and today I finally started working. I met my boss, Gloria, who's a total sweetheart; we filled out lots of forms; she showed me round the place and my tasks; and I started doing little things here and there.


Tomorrow I'm meeting another volunteer worker who's going to explain what my tasks are in more detail. But, basically, I have to categorize the books people donate to the library and keep the book sale section in order and pretty.


They don't have staff selling the books; they rely on an honorable system, where buyers place the right amount of money in a box. All the books are labeled with a price; and there are magazines and videos, too. Let me tell you something, there were lots of fashion magazines I was tempted to browse, hehe.


I know it's not a real job, but at least I'm doing a little something and in a beautiful place; I love this library and my boss is really nice. I think we can call this a beginning to a more normal life.

All pics Via

Hope your day was great, too! ;)

20 comments:

Laura said...

I think that volunteering at the library is just fantastic! Good for you. I love books too. If only I had more time to read! :)

Have a good week.

Laura xo

ce said...

i LOVE that you are working at a library!! it's one of my life long dreams!!! enjoy it while it lasts!!!

also, i adored the pictures, funny thing, as soon as i saw the first one i opened a new tab and went to weheartit.com thinking, how come i never looked for book pictures here!?(to browse through some book pics right away!)
and then i got to the end of your post and found out all your beautiful pics come frome where!? hahaha we heart it!!!!!!!

Chrissy said...

I am so glad you had a great day and fun at the library! Sounds interesting! We have a section like that in our library as well! Love browsing through those magazines!
Hugs xxx

jamie said...

aw, this is great news :) ahhh to be surrounded by stories of love and lost and finance and fairytales <3

good luck and have fun my love!

Giselle S. said...

Great Miki! :)
Mmmm......vintage fashion magazines!!! That's cool!
xoxo
g

Lindsey said...

Oh, that sounds excellent! And once you're able to work I'll bet they'll be willing to add you to the staff, good luck <3

Amira said...

Like the pics! Great post! Love interesting books) Follow you) Follow me?

Ashley said...

I use to work in my high school library. It was lots of fun and very relaxing! Enjoy it!

Rose said...

Thats great news! Glad to hear your enjoying it too. Volunteer work always leeds to opportunities :)

Rose

babalisme said...

Wow! I always want to work at the library! to think of all those great books in a place! And to analyze (judge hahaha) people from what they're reading.

Bethany Kellen said...

this sounds so lovely! i wish i could do that here. i may have to inquire about it seeing as how i can't get a job and really i'd just like to be doing something.

choux pastry hearts said...

I work in a library and have done for just over 5 years now. It's such a lovely job, sometimes stressful and busy beyond belief but it really is such a wonderful place to be. Surrounded by so many books and amazing people :) I hope you get everything you want from your time there, enjoy it

Laura x

Rosie said...

working in a library is like my ideal job!
i laaav books :')
looks like your going to have fun! :D
Rosie xo

alexandra grecco said...

lovely photos ; )

xx
alexandra

danniekate said...

this is such a sweet idea, and a great way for you to make new book-loving friends :) xx

Coquis said...

The library must be happy to have you around ;)
I have a flash-forward - people opening books and finding kinda post-it notes with messages from you "Have a nice day!" or "You're under 18 and shouldn't be reading this XXX mag!" lol
Congrats on the volunteering!

Jaymie said...

Oh I do love a good book!
x

Nena Nadine said...

How exciting! I love libraries. One was hiring near me once and I attempted to apply but I guess you have to have a degree to be a librarian. Seriously tempted to go to school for that.

daisymay aka Chantele said...

That's great Miki. I think it's great you are willing to do something when you dont have too/cant work. I bet lots of people just dont bother. And when it comes to actually getting a proper job, when you are allowed to, it will look good to your new employer that you went out and did volunteer work. I used to be a school librarian and I loved it, I would totally work in a book shop now if I could!

Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home

Fin Ryder said...

I would love to work in a library! You are very lucky to get to be around books all day.

I hope your time there is just lovely.

I'm sure you'll be meeting all kinds of interesting people. Good for you Miki :D