navinavi

March 01, 2011

I'm not the smartest girl in the world ...

If you've never moved to a foreign country, you'd be amazed by the simple things you have to get used to in your new environment. I know I'm not the smartest girl in the world, but I don't think I'm the stupidest either! This post may prove me wrong on the latter, though.

Ever since I started living in the States, I feel I've become a baby again. Simple things such as taking a walk on my own can seem daunting ... why?, you must be wondering. Well, there are many facts that you, natives, take for granted; whereas, I, a foreigner, have to learn from scratch. Examples? Here I go:

1.- I'm not used to being in a place that is so organized, haha! I feel like I have to respect every single line painted on the street and sign on a pole. Also, you see no pedestrians, so that makes you feel extra lonely when walking down the street. I remember I was very confused the first time I had to use the traffic lights! I knew I had to press a button so I could cross, but it took me a few seconds to realize which one I was supposed to use.


2.- The first time I took the bus, I didn't even know how to use my monthly pass. I was lucky enough to find a kind lady waiting on the bus stop, so I asked her a few questions (How am I supposed to use this pass? Do I have to tell the driver where I'm getting off? Is there a bell I have to ring when I get to my stop?). She kindly answered all my questions and once my first bus adventure had finished, I felt like a champ, hehe.



3.- I'm not acquainted with brands and packaging here, so it takes me extra time to find things in the grocery store ... and sometimes I make stupid mistakes like this one :/ ...


I saw the jar and said to myself, "Yes, this is the coffee David makes!" ... it never dissolved because that's not instant coffee, haha! This one below is! Same brand, different container ... I could have figured it wan't instant coffee the second I opened the jar, but oh, well; some girls are slower than others :/ ...


4.- Even baking cupcakes didn't turn out to be so easy! I needed David to help me with the measurements. This was my first time baking something, by the way.

Eeh ... I didn't know milk was not necessary when I took the picture.



5.- Then, there are times when I'm kind of ... "Wtf?!". You can't blame me here; hot dogs and burritos in a box?! :O



I know it's only a question of becoming used to these differencies; once I've been living here for a while, I'm sure I'll be able to do these things without hesitation ;). But for now, let me just tell you that in a month here I've moved from being a baby to being a toddler :/.

Have a happy Tuesday, everybody! :P

11 comments:

Devi Pope said...

Haha! Yes! The coffee! I love you!

Hello Naka said...

awh it was sweet of the lady :3 it reminds me when i was starting college and i wasnt sure which bus to get and where to stop XD


and nice cupcakes and the containers looks really simliar!

Chrissy said...

Love it! You are so cute! hahaha hugs xxx

Gale said...

you are awesome! i wish you moved to my neck of the woods. i think because i'd love to be around you when you discover these "new" things. it's so cute and interesting. i know for a fact that if i were to move to a new place, i would be a VERY slow one haha. oh and i double the wt?! on burritos and hot dogs in a box. LOL

Ashley said...

cross walks and pedestrian walk ways make me feel like a robot!

Thera Joyce said...

aww..I can imagine what you're going through. I didn't move to a different country per se, but moving from Arizona to Illinois was even a change. There are different grocery stores, food brands etc. You'll get used to it. It will only take time. :)

Sweet T. said...

It doesn't make you stupid if you don't know how to do something you've never done before! I've never ridden the bus so I don't have a clue how bus passes work. I'm so glad you can bake now! I remember you telling me you didn't have an oven. Have fun learning all these new things!

Sandy a la Mode said...

hahah you are soo adorable girl! congrats on your marriage!!! :)

Rosie said...

yay for baking!
they look tasty ;)
glad your getting used to everything over there!!!!!
hugs!
Rosie xo

Oh, My Darling said...

Funfetti is a great first step into baking, that's for sure.

jamie said...

hi sweetheart!

i've been insanely busy and quite frankly too lazy to blog this past week. i just love reading about new things you're discovering in the us. it's sort of surreal to me if that makes any sense at all; i've been in the states my whole life and reading about your discoveries and new found respect for painted street lines/poles kind of keeps me grounded. if that makes any sense at all too, lol. the whole coffee thing was too cute! i couldnt help but giggle :) i hope things are going well over there <3 i'll hear from you soon dear! xo