navinavi

February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day in Claremont

Yesterday was a big day, not only because it was my first Valentine's Day here in America, but also because it was the first day I dared take the bus. David and I were going to try the 63 on Sunday, but we found out we had very little time to spare before the line's last service back home. We ended up driving to Claremont instead, which turned out to be a great thing; I didn't know there was such cute little place here. So, that same night, David looked into buses going to that area, and yesterday I went there by myself.

Taking public transportation here is not as common as in Argentina; everybody seems to have a car in California! I'm not willing to wait until I get my driver's licence, so I'd rather rely on public transportation until I get there. So far, living here has not been so difficult except for the fact that I don't feel independent. I'm not used to depending on others to this extent. Right now, I don't have a job (or money, naturally), I don't drive, I don't know the place well enough, I don't have friends or family here; I only have David. Trust me, he's more than I could have ever asked for; I'd move wherever just to have the chance to be with him, but the truth is that I have to start "building" (not sure this is the right word here) my own life.

That's why I feel I accomplished something good yesterday. Now I feel more confident about getting by on my own. Thank you public transportation and GPS for being in this world! I'm so glad David taught me how to use Google maps on my phone :D.

I took the 65 bus to Monte Vista and Moreno and walked all the way to where the cute stores and cafes are located. I was going to take another bus, but I decided to walk. It took me about 25 minutes, I'd say. If you haven't been there before, I totally recommend it. There are lots of universities and indie stores.



There are also a vast number of green spaces and squares provided with benches and tables. I saw many people eating snacks and reading.


Some of the cafes have a sign on the wall which state how long they have been there. Most of them opened in the 1950's.


I didn't have time to check all the little stores, but will definitely do the next time I go. There are many cute clothing and gift stores as well as restaurants.









This is the record store where I bought David a cheesy Valentine's gift. He'd said he liked a Star Wars lunchbox the day before and I had just enough to buy it.


Before heading back home, I sat down in a nice diner and ate some ice cream, yum!


I chose a more direct and closer way to get to a different bus stop back home, but it turned out not to be such a good idea; there was no one there and it was not a nice area. On top of that, the 65 bus was taking forever to arrive, so I jumped onto the 68 believing that was the other bus that drove to Ontario ... bad news; after having taken the bus and talked to David on the phone, I realized I was wrong! I got off the bus at Ramona and Holt and walked all the way to Holt and Central to take the 65. I don't know what I'd have done if I hadn't had the map in my phone!

I got home way later than I had expected, so I didn't have time to cook David's lunch for today to put it in the lunchbox before giving the present to him :(. Nevertheless, we had a wonderful night; we drove back to Claremont, haha, to have dinner in a nice Mexican restaurant.


We ate a lot! The food was great and abundant, so I have leftovers for today's lunch :p.





It was a great day! Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day, too!


11 comments:

Rosie said...

awwwe how sweet :) hope you had a good day :)
xo

Devi Pope said...

Oh, dear! You put BOTH of those pics up. Haha!

Lauren said...

Ah sweet! I love the Star Wars lunchbox idea - brilliant! That dins looks delish x

Chrissy said...

Looks like a lot of fun and a really nice area! Would have loved to meet for coffee!
You two are so cute! I am so happy for you!
Hugs xxx

katrina said...

happy happy ♥ day, miki!

Giselle S. said...

Happy St Valentine's day Miki and Devi!! :) How good it is to see those designer's shops and 50s style cafés...!! Really cool!
xoxo
G

jamie said...

horray for taking the bus! lol ive been too scared to go on the bus so like other califnorians, i drive lol. i understand what youre feeling but im sure that in no time you will get the ball rollin and get back on your feet! im happy you have a supportive fiance and that your are adapting to california well <3 happy belated valentines day my dear!! you two are so adorable together!!

p.s
have you guys seen Exit Through The Gift Shop yet? hehe <3

Izzah Houdini said...

you guys look adorable! <3 xx

daisymay aka Chantele said...

Aww glad you had a great time, it looks so sweet there. My bunnies are up on my blog, if you wanna see them!! my cuties! Glad you are enjoying it in the states!

Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home

choco.pop said...

Aww, such a cute couple ^^ I'm really happy you could spend Valentine's Day with David ^^

So many cute stores! The one with the "Stamp your <3 out" sign got me curious. Is it a stamping store? Haha, sorry if it's too much obvious :3

Anyway, lots of hugs from Argentina!

Choco

Rosie said...

helloo again :)
just in answer to your question, me and my bf are about 300 miles away from each other - not far enough that i dont see him often(ish) but far enough to bother us both :( xxx