navinavi

December 16, 2010

Movie task: The Science of Sleep


Michel Gondry is synonym to eye candy. Any film or music video directed by him is bound to be at least appealing to the eye. I got to know him thanks to Bjork’s music videos (Human Behaviour, Bachelorette, just to name a couple) and every time I hear there’s a movie or video about to be released I feel curious. I’m sure you’ve all watched and loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but this time I don’t want to talk about that movie; this week’s movie task involves The Science of Sleep.

To tell you the truth, I didn’t like this movie as much as I’d thought I would; I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’m not completely happy with its ending or because they’d talked about it so much before its premiere that my expectations were disproportionate, who knows. What I did love was Stephane’s mind, the way he saw the world was unique. All those paper and cardboard figures were so inspiring! That’s what I want to take from this movie to this week’s task.


I've made my Christmas cards this year and also pimped the ones I already had (which I'd bought years ago). I tried to use different layers of paper and different textures so as to create a similar effect to Michel Gondry's collages. I'll post just a couple because it'd take too many boring pictures to show how I've made each one.
These are some supplies I've found at home. Different kinds of paper, yarn, ribbon covered in sequins, postcards ... and a device (the yellow one) which name in English is totally unkown to me, sorry! It makes holes shaped like stars.

I also decided to use old magazines, doilies and cardboard.

I wanted to give my cards a different shape, so I folded them several times. I used red cardboard and glued funny pictures and positive expressions. This is the first one I made.




And here's another one. I glued lots of doilies and left one complete side to write a letter. By folding the cardboard and sticking so many pictures and pieces of paper, I wanted to give my cards some sense of 3 dimensionality and movement. Of course I didn't get close to Mr Gondry's effect, but at least I tried, ha!



Aside from making a few cards myself, I took a stash of Christmas cards I'd won in an auction on our local E-Bay a couple of years ago. I remember I paid less that USD 10 for over a 100 cards! I used a lot of them that year but didn’t send any in 2009 because I didn’t remember who I had sent each card to and I didn’t want to make the mistake of sending a person the same card two years in a row. However, I came to the conclusion that it’s a waste to have so much material just sitting there in my attic, so I decided to use them but embellished the cards a little before sending them.

The smaller ones totally reminded me of The Science of Sleep because of their die-cut parts. You can unfold them once more so you have enough white space to write a few lines.

As for the big cards, in order to make them look a little less tacky (because let's face it, they're not the most wonderful Christmas cards), I used Japanese stationery, drawings from fashion magazines and little stars made with my yellow device.


I also used metallic paper, pictures of flowers I found in magazines and glitter glue.


Ok, enough pictures for this post. It was fun to make these cards; I think I'll make them all myself next year. I've come up with lots of ideas but have no time to send them now.


If you're curious to see some music videos directed by Michel Gondry, here you have some links:
Let Forever Be by The Chemical Brothers
Bachelorette by Bjork
Sugar Water by Cibo Matto
Like a Rolling Stone by The Rolling Stones
Around the World by Daft Punk
The Hardest Button to Button by The White Stripes
A Ribbon by Devendra Banhart
Knives Out by Radiohead

Have a wonderful day!

12 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wow, Miki, you are so talented! They are fabulous! Great ideas!!

Frozen Fashion said...

I would love to be on your christmas card list!

Miki, you inspire this really uncrafty one's heart:)

Your blog is exciting that way!!!!!


Ciao
<3


check out my Great "Wool & The Gang" give away:)
http://hotfreezingfashion.blogspot.com/2010/12/hot-freezing-fashion-xd-kapok-give-away.html

Lindsey said...

That's so crazy, I've seen all those music videos but had no idea they were directed by the same guy (not to mention he did science of sleep!) Gosh, shows how well I pay attention lol.

Your cards are so adorable. I didn't send out cards this year :O

Lindsey said...

My curiosity is piqued! I gotta see this picture you posted I would like, you have good taste so I'm sure it's cute! :]

polka dot said...

Oh, wow, Miki, those cards are AMAZING! I was planning to make our cards this year, too, and have only had a chance to do two so far because of all the silly Elle distractions... tomorrow is my day to do it. (actually.. email me your post address if you get a chance!)

Came here to reply to your comment - thank you - as I replied on my own post which is silly:


That's wild you said that, Miki: I was doing that on my camera, showing Elizabeth and her husband - just flipping it back and forth. I wish I knew how to do it as a little film.


But also - I don't know that film, the Science of Sleep. Did it just come out? I wonder if we'll get it here.

Back to looking at those cards.. when are you moving to California? Hope all's well. xx

Nena Nadine said...

I love how experimental you are. Those turned out great.

eugenialejos said...

love your blog! is very different!
great! i follow your;)

Giselle S. said...

Lovely postcards and work!! I love your yellow devide :-))
I guess we've both been doing similar things today ^.^
About the movie....i remember i saw it a couple of years ago. I love Charlotte and Gaël.... and i found the movie very creative!!
Another cool film with her is "My wife is an actress".

Giselle S. said...

Opps... i wanted to mean device hihi :-)

cardboard figures said...

Excellent idea i like you mini facebook
thanks for this

ferminadaza said...

Love Michel Gondry!

Oh, My Darling said...

First off, seriously awesome cards!

Second, I adore Science of Sleep -- remember seeing this movie in the theater and feeling very hip and intellectual afterwards, haha.

And, happy holidays!!!