navinavi

November 13, 2010

Broadening my lexicon

Thanks to the blogging world, I’ve been incorporating lots of interesting terms in English. The cool thing about this medium is that it teaches us (non-native English speakers) words that we’d probably not learn anywhere else. I know books and newspapers are possibly the best source of vocabulary, but I’m not going to lie to you: I’m very lazy when it comes to reading books. I have to read enough for work; I don’t want to keep reading the same kind of material in my leisure time. TV series, movies and songs are also great media to expand your lexicon; I’ve learnt lots of phrasal verbs and slang expressions thanks to them.

Whenever I hear an interesting word or a word which meaning I don’t know, I jot it down in a small notebook.

It’s frustrating to hear words I know I’ve heard before and should have incorporated already. When that happens, I think hard to try to remember its meaning and I eventually look the word up if nothing comes to my mind.

I’ve been doing this since I was teenager. It's fun to go through the old little notebooks and find simple words such as measles, haha! I remember I wrote that one down while watching "Only You"; God, I loved that movie!

So today, I feel like sharing some of the words and expressions I've been learning thanks to you, bloggers! :) Thank you for making the learning process fun and profitable! ;-)

Up until a couple of days ago, I thought that clerical only meant "connected with the clergy", but, nope! It also means "pertaining to office clerks"! Which now makes total sense; I mean "clerk" => "clerical" ...

I like all of these new adjectives (new to me, anyway): nippy, nifty, iffy. Lots of Is and Ys, hehe.

I'll certainly remember in tandem if I manage to connect this expression to this cute pic :).


This is what I thought turtledoves were, haha. It didn't make any sense so I looked the word up. We use the same equivalent word in Spanish, by the way, "tortolitos".

Look at the picture I found when Googling snazzy! I agree :).

Not sure this pic depicts bits and bobs, but the other ones I found were even less clear.


Really? Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears and Charlize Theron under the label strumpet? I disagree.

Well, I bet I'm boring you with this post, so I'll limit myself to one more word; and it's a cute one! Sorry for being cheesy, but he represents purty 100% to me :P.

All pictures (except for 1, 2, 3, 9) via Google.

Hope you're all having a nice weekend! And thanks again for being my teachers! :D

12 comments:

Chrissy said...

Love it! Great idea!! You are so sweet!
Thanks for teaching me "snazzy"! Didn't know that one...love it!

BTW - how did you get the buttons on your sidebar so close together? I want to have mine closer, but can't find a good tutorial...

Have fun tonight!

Hugs xxx

Rosie said...

in tandem! <3
brilliant idea to do that :)

CocoCherie said...

I didn't know what a strumpet was. Now, I do. hehehe

lauren carney said...

hey meowsy,
pretty fancy blog you've got a-going-on in here!
keep up the top notch work you top notch blogger!
x x x

Naka said...

awh the picture of the 'turtle doves' look so cute and weird!!! and tehe i have bought a big tub of ice cream for myself :p shhh XD

Rose said...

Some of those words I dont even know :) English is such a funny language I think. The international students who work along side me at work have real trouble with our terms sometimes.

Rose

Devi Pope said...

Awe! Bebe! I love the turtles. Haha!

Second Wind photography said...

all these are sooo cute!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Haha, I love all these words (and what a cute way to remember them). Your English is really impressive!

danniekate said...

love it! have my word of the week: "nascent" x

Ashley said...

I love this post! SO CUTE! I would love to take a peek into that little notebook. There are some words that people on the cherokee reservation use that I had never heard before, well until I moved here: y'uns and ooshi.

y'uns means you' uns or y'all or you guys.

ooshi is an exclamation you say when you are surprised with something that is cold. Like when you feel a sudden draft or someone puts their cold hands on you.

My Grandma likes to use the word spiffy a lot... old people use funny words like kawinkydink and dillydally.

Oh, My Darling said...

I totally respect your thirst for knowledge!!! Cute post!