navinavi

June 30, 2010

Pimping cardboard bags

I tend to keep everything: old magazines, pictures and articles I cut from leaflets and brochures, different kinds of wrappings, free postcards, tags, cardboard bags, you name it! It’s really hard for me to get rid of these things that most people would call “garbage”. There are some items of the above mentioned that I rarely see again (unless I happen to open one of the boxes where I keep all the “junk”), and others which I use all the time such as cardboard bags, for instance.


I keep all the cardboard bags I’m given when I go shopping and later use them to carry books, photocopies, whatever. As I was choosing one to put my scarf and a few manila envelopes the other day, I realized that I could easily make them look prettier. So I grabbed some ribbons, colored glue, scissors, pictures and wool and decided to pimp them.



Here’s the outcome:


For the first bag, I used a wide piece of red ribbon and for the second one, pictures I cut from fashion magazines, which I later glued to the bag.

I wanted to make a “blackboard” so I could write a checklist; for that purpose, I used black, thick cardboard and a white chalk. I also made some pompoms in different shades of pink to match the tall bag. If you don't know how to make pompoms, here's a useful tutorial.

Finally, for the last two, I used pink ribbon and colored glue.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

you always have the best ideas! I love your new banner!

Sarah said...

what a great idea! and you will totally use them again! I hoard things too, but never do anything quite so artistic! xx